The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take the family tent camping and boating at the Allegheny National Forest. I live about 3 1/2 hours away so all my planning is in the internet. Does anyone have advice where to go? We would like to camp 2 or 3 nights and run the pontoon boat around during the day. We pull the kids on the tube, but no waterskiing. We'd also like to do a little fishing. It's a big place with lots of info on it, but I'd like a little insider advice if you can spare it!!

We'd be going in late June or July. I also have the option of going during the week if the crowds are too unbearable.

Thanks for any information!!

Keystone

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Kinzua has excellent Boat in only campgrounds, as well as lakefront drive in campgrounds with mooring. ALthough the lake gets some traffic, it would be a great lake for a pontoon boat. if you can swing a "during the week trip" I would recommend it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are some of the lake front drive-in ones? I like the idea of having mooring available too. You save a lot of time avoiding the launch ramp lines.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I believe Wolfs Marina is pretty convenient and has mooring. It is right on Rt 59.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Kinzua...you wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
We stayed at Willow Bay last year, I didn't care for it at all, my boat was 100 yards from my campsite, and we were the only people there who wern't speaking a foreign language.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is another twist you guys may be able to help with...
Do you know of any cabins/cottages/motels that are on the water or very close? I'm thinking something along the lines of some of the Canada/NY fishing lodges I've been too.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
There are no cabins on the water that I know of. Down by Red Bridge, there is the South Branch Rentals which are close. You can also rent houseboats up at the Wolf Run Marina.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
If you don't mind camping, look at Red Bridge. There are spots along the campground where you can "beach" your pontoon, no problem. If you are looking to rent a cabin right on the water, the ANF is not your spot. I'd look at Chautauqua Lake. I'd think you could find something there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"Try Kiasutha Campground. Stayed there. It's nice."

I'm very glad to hear that. I'm taking my kids there for a couple nights the week after the Fourth.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Red Bridge near Kane off Route 321 or Kiasutha off Longhouse Scenic Drive would both be a good start. Kiasutha has a boat launch, a swimming area and paved parking pads. Red Bridge is not quite as developed (at least the last time I was there.) There is a boat in only camping area on the north side of the Kinzua arm of the reservior farther up from Kiasutha, but I can't remember what it was called.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
WexfordBowhunter said:
There is a boat in only camping area on the north side of the Kinzua arm of the reservior farther up from Kiasutha, but I can't remember what it was called.
I believe that is the Morrison Run campground.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Handsome Lake, Hooks Brook, Hopewell, Morrison, and Pine Grove are all boat to campgrounds on the reservoir. Dew Drop has a boat launch as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts