The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good campground nearby? Im looking for simple primitive camping for a small group. 2 to 6 people. Most of us camp in Hammocks, so its very low impact.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, thats what Im looking for! Ultimately it would be great to be primitive camping only, but it looks like thats not gonna happen.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Did west rim last year with my sister and another friend. Nice views at many areas on the trail and some nice camp sites. We may do it again in the fall when the leaves are changing. We started at the north terminus and hiked to Blackwell. We all liked the first half of the trail a lot better then the second half. Took us 3 days and 2 nights. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DCNR camping permit is free. They have designated areas you cannot camp but it allows you to camp freely within the state park and forest.

·
Registered
24,861 Posts
State Parks are NOT open to primitive camping... however, State Forests are.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20030820.pdf

Where to Camp
Pennsylvania has 2.2 million acres of state forest land with 2,500 miles of trails and 5,132 miles of
rivers and streams winding through it. Hiking, biking and multi-use trails traverse most state forest
districts and six districts have designated water trails that transect state forest land.
<span style="font-weight: bold">State parks are not open to primitive camping.</span> However, with the exception of William Penn
State Forest, all state forest districts are open to this activity. Camping is not permitted in designated
natural areas or at vistas, trail heads, picnic areas and areas that are posted closed to camping.
Contact a forest district office for specific information, maps and Camping Permits (if needed).

·
Registered
365 Posts
The West Rim Trail might be what you are looking for. It can be accessed at many points, so you can make a trip as long or short as you'd like. Right now would be about perfect for a winter camp, plenty of water, little to no snow and best of all....no snowmobiles to listen to day and night. I've winter backpacked it many times and have always enjoyed it.

Wild Asaph Outfitters in Wellsboro can help you out (570)724-5155 or Pine Creek Outfitters near the canyon (570)724-3003

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks IrishJoe! I think thats exactly what Im looking for. Probably a 2 night hike. But it'll have to wait until spring, Im afraid Im not properly geared for winter camping.

Thanks for going the extra mile to provide the outfitter info! Im not sure what I need them for though. I guess they might have some suggestions for a good 2/3 day hike?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Both of those places will carry the West Rim Trail book and map. The book was written by Chuck Dillon from Pine Creek Outfitters. It's a well put together trail guide, not only giving interesting historical facts, but locations of springs/streams for water, great camping spots and mileage markers.

This is the fancier book and map, I've always used the smaller easily pocketed book so I can bring it on the trail.

http://www.pahikes.com/maps-books-guides/pennsylvania/product/39-guide-to-the-west-rim-trail

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts