The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a camper (24ft up to 27ft) and use it as a mobil deer camp. Question, how is the heat in these untis for rifle season, are they allowed at SGL. Ill post this also on rv section.
any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
We used a 30 ft travel trailer for several years , lots of good times. used a small kerosun for heat and a small generator to keep the battery charged . we always camped on SFL , dont believe camping is allowed on SGL.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I really can't tell you. Thinking short term heat might not be to bad but our pastor had a relative living in a camper in his yard one winter. They put straw bales all around the outside to keep the air from going underneath it. Pastor told me that it cost them more to heat that camper than it did his house. He said (and when you think about it it is right) those walls are so thin and light and not much insulation could even fit in there so they are not very well insulated. They do also make some nice propane heaters that could help if you had the room for one. The one we have has three panels on it. If it is cold you can turn it up to high and run all three panels and it throws out a pile of heat. Once it gets warmed up you can turn it down to low or one panel. It requires no electricity to run. It really saves us on the heat bill here in the house but we have a place where I can fill two 20 pound tanks for $23 and some change.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Heat usually isn't the issue. Keeping the undercarriage warm enough so that water lines and holding tanks don't freeze is the issue. Most campers are 3 season. They do make 4 season campers where the underside is covered with a rubber membrane like a rubber roof. The heat generated from the furnace duct work keeps it warm enough to keep from freezing.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i just saw a camper that base was surrounded by bails of hay..i think it was under the camper...definately keep the air out from under it

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
There used to be guys at the front gate of a SFL road. Started w/ a slide in and graduated to a trailer b/4 growing to a self-propelled unit. They haven't been there for a few years now.

I also see campers in a parking lot for a trail system inside the SFL. You need a permit from the local SFL office.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for input. Im just kicking the idea around. It would be a base camp, I would rough it with water, jug it in with gallons of water, use as needed. Just use generator,propane,batt at nite to cook,slleep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts