The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can tell, I have just bought a camp and have many questions!
We are very excited and having been a member on here for years I truly value everyone's advice.

I was hoping to hear some ideas and traditions that would involve our small children and of course my wife. We plan on getting year round use of the cabin and look to build great memories in addition to hunting camp.

It wasn't too long ago an awesome thread on here spoke about hunting camp traditions and even special meals-that to me is great stuff

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Many people won't agree with what I am about to say, but it works very well for us. We are both retired and 3 yrs ago we put a cabin on our property. I wanted it to be a place we BOTH wanted to go to. Here goes. We had a telephone line installed for emergency(no cell service),a heating system, satellite tv and an inside composting toilet. All these things make it much more desirable to spend time at the place. Some neighbors say "no way" to some or all the conveniences, but could that be the reason we rarely see them?

·
Registered
330 Posts
When our family had a camp the only thing we insisted on was a "log book" to record who was at camp - animals seen - wx and any events that were news worthy.. it was great to go back and re-read all the adventures that took place.. we lost our lease in the late 60's due to a temp prison camp that was put in by Rockview St Prison.. and I never learned what happened to the Log book was in military then...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Not sure how old the kid's are or where the camp is at but here goes. You always have to have a fire outside at night, winter and summer, for cooking some more's or mountain pies. Have some good campfire stories. Plan on you and the kids cooking a meal to give Mom a break. Winter take some hikes and track some game. Summer find a fishing spot. Have a contest to learn a new tree or plant in the area every trip. Have a prize. You have to keep it interesting fore everyone. Nothing worst that the first day at camp and someone says. "I'm bored".
And as BoatCapt said keep a log book. Everyone gets to put a dated entry in before you leave camp

·
Registered
299 Posts
Little different but Going to be the same, WE started a Book Day 1 15 years ago. I went through it the other week to reminisce, Lots of trips with all the boys, Some trips with Old Girlfriends, trips with My Wife of 8 years. All that is great. "EXCEPT WHEN SHE READ THE BOOK AND SAW THE OLD GIRLFRIENDS NAMES" Regardless, Katie our 1 members Daughter was 11 When She started coming up, She Killed a 3 Point when she was 12. we have the Pic on the wall of Shame, Now she is 24 and Is Married and is a Full blown Member. Now back to Me, I now have a 27 Month old Little boy, I cant wait till he can Start Going and Spending weekends with DAD at the Cabin, we will make our own traditions and great memories.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laylow said:
Not sure how old the kid's are or where the camp is at but here goes. You always have to have a fire outside at night, winter and summer, for cooking some more's or mountain pies. Have some good campfire stories. Plan on you and the kids cooking a meal to give Mom a break. Winter take some hikes and track some game. Summer find a fishing spot. Have a contest to learn a new tree or plant in the area every trip. Have a prize. You have to keep it interesting fore everyone. Nothing worst that the first day at camp and someone says. "I'm bored".
And as BoatCapt said keep a log book. Everyone gets to put a dated entry in before you leave camp

Exactly what I was after! Great stuff👍👍

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Clearcut Rob said:
Wall of Shame- get a Bulletin board. Start putting pics up, Watch how the Hair turns gray and the kids Grow..
Great stuff I also have a couple of photo albums that get looked at by every one who comes to camp along with me!

·
Registered
195 Posts
a journal should be at the top of your list.Im 47 now and when i was a young boy,i always saw my dad writing of the things that happend while we were at camp,Dad is gone now,and that journal holds a special place in my heart.The memories that the old book holds are priceless.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's a different world now, but we used to forage for our own mountain pie stuffins. Now is a great time blackberries and wild raspberries are getting ripe. We used to walk the roads for miles looking for enough for 1 pie.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
We started a journal on day 1. It's only been a year, but it was nice to look back and read where we were construction wise this time last year. I write in it every time I go into camp, even if it is for 1 day.

For years, my father-in-law belonged to a camp in the Sproul. 20-25 guys the first week of gun season. He always supplied my mother-in-laws spaghetti and meatball dinner the night before the opener. When I joined, I continued the tradition after he died. When my son and I belonged to a camp in McKean county, we did the same. Now, we have our own camp and last year, the tradition carried on with my wife's spaghetti and meatball dinner.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Some of ours...."Trout camp" for some of the guys it the only time they fish all year...a weekend based around our areas organized coyote hunts....a weekend based around our areas organized rattlesnake hunts....And make camp work weekends that are as much about fun as work

·
Registered
477 Posts
Food is always a great tradition. We always had Sugar Cakes from down around York, a five pound box of Martin's Kettle cooked chips. Steaks the night before opener.

When I finally got the ex and the kids to go up with me, tubing on the driftwood branch was a must. Fishing always played in.

Also, find a place that is special for your family, and take a hike there each time. Still remember when my boy saw his first elk....

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
When you have a camp, Tradition seems to pop up! I asked my 4yr. old grandson what he likes the most at camp? Papa I like looking at all the stars. 12 yr.old said deer season,My year old just smiles.My kids! Getting away from all the rat race we go thru in life,Even it's for a few days.My bride of 41 yrs.having every one together makes her happy.Me? life is good! Sitting around a big fire seems to soothe the soul. Good food and drinks seems to follow. Had some type of cam recorder the day we got marry. BOY have they change! And when we look back at the old tapes we did to

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We have many things that we do every time we go to camp, but we don't necessarily call them traditions. We have some of the same meals every time we are there, we visit the same spots, we always check our stands. This past season, we developed a toast for opening day of rifle season. My pap is somewhat bitter in his old age, so he doesn't like new anything. He sat in his chair while we did it unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
6,335 Posts
shadowhunter said:
As you can tell, I have just bought a camp and have many questions!
We are very excited and having been a member on here for years I truly value everyone's advice.

I was hoping to hear some ideas and traditions that would involve our small children and of course my wife. We plan on getting year round use of the cabin and look to build great memories in addition to hunting camp.

It wasn't too long ago an awesome thread on here spoke about hunting camp traditions and even special meals-that to me is great stuff

Thanks
Some of our best memories by my kids were Deerspoting on those Cool Summer nights in Potter Co.
And the Campfire Spooky stories.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts