The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents-

We have water and electric at our new cabin, but no septic. We need a toilet inside and wanted to hear about composting units and are they good? Worthwhile? Costs associated?

Our idea is to install one until we put in a permanent septic system down the road. Would like to hear the good, bad and ugly on your experience....

Thanks-you guys always seem to know

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Contact your local SEO. He/she can answer your questions and get you the info you need about adding whatever you want.

As for composting toilets: The only ones legal in this state are made by two companies....Clivus Multrum and Sun-Mar. Any composter you choose has to meet NSF/ANSI 41 standards. Do your research and you'll run across Nature's Head, Airhead, C-head/Boon Johnny, home brews, Separett, Envirolet, Biolet, and others....they're all a no-go in this state.

What do you use now?

·
Registered
272 Posts
We bought a Sun-Mar non electric at approx. $1700. I want to say first, we are happy with it. After we got over the cost, the learning began. In the beginning we had flies. We were not sure if it was because the cabin was not closed up tight enough. We wrapped window screen around the top of the vent, tightened up the cabin and the flies went away. Maintained properly, there is no odor and no bugs. There is a fan accessory that installs in the vent pipe that will insure correct air movement(out of bathroom not into). As I said in beginning, we are happy we went this way, compared to an outside bathroom. Be sure to size it according to the use it will get. Also, it has the proper certification. Hope this helped a little.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
shadowhunter said:
We don't have a toilet now-no bathroom. We are adding a bathroom now, but are not doing a septic system until later down the road

Thanks for the info!
You are human, right?

What 'facilities' do you use now? If you have an outhouse you may have an easy road.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
shadowhunter said:
Jason-we just bought the place. Have not spent any time there yet. Just doing research on best way forward!
Maybe I wasn't clear. I see, now, after looking through your other posts, that you have an outhouse....that's what I was asking. Knowing that you're golden, IMO.

You can use any composting toilet you want....doesn't have to be a Sun-Mar....and empty the contents into your outhouse when you need to.

I'm presently building a cabin. I'm going through this, literally, right now. My problem is I don't have a usable outhouse on the property....there is 100+ year old remains of an outhouse foundation. That allows me to get a replacement privy permit, but I either have to put in a new outhouse or a Sun-Mar composting toilet (because it's the only legal stand-alone unit out there).

You can literally poop in a bucket inside and dump it in the outhouse if you so choose!

Here's some composting toilets that I've found in my research that I wanted or at least looked at and decided against before I knew I had to have a Sun-Mar due to political bologna.

Nature's Head
Airhead
C-Head/Boon Johnny
Separett
Envirolet
Biolet
Sawdust toilet

Just Google and read up on all of them. The Nature's Head struck my fancy the most, but I can't have it because of the outdated state rules. Everyone I personally know with a Sun-Mar (all of 2 people) ended up moving it outside because of the stink, constant clogging and poor urine/feces separation. They still use them, but aren't thrilled with them. Read reviews, poke around on the message boards and get an idea from 'real' peoples' experiences with all of them.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Njoyinlife said:
Because you have electricity, you may want to check out an incinerator toilet. No smell and reduces everything to ashes. Keep it clean and level.... Works great!
Oh, good call. I scratched the Incinolet off my list real early since I don't have electric....forgot all about it.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
May can do a holding tank now that the bathroom drains to then add the drain field later. Contact your local SEO. He/she can answer your questions and get you the info you need about adding whatever you want.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
yhducker said:
I never heard about the rule that certain composting toilets are illegal. Where can I read more about that? I was thinking about a Nature's Head for my cabin.
Only Clivus Multrum and Sun-Mar fit the bill....

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter73/s73.65.html

§ 73.65. Recycling toilet, incinerating toilet or composting toilet.

(a) Recycling, incinerating and composting toilets shall bear the seal of the NSF indicating testing and approval by that agency under Standard No. 41.

(b) The device utilized shall meet the installation specifications of the manufacturer and shall be operated and maintained in a manner that will preclude any potential pollution or health hazards.

(c) When the installation of a recycling toilet, incinerating toilet or composting toilet is proposed for a new residence or establishment, an onlot sewage system or other approved method of sewage disposal shall be provided for treatment of washwater or excess liquid from the unit, except as provided in subsection (e). Both sewage disposal facilities shall be included under one permit.

(d) When the installation of a recycling toilet, incinerating toilet, composting toilet or another type of water conservation device is proposed for an existing residence or facility and no alteration of the onlot system is proposed, a permit is not required.

(e) When a composting toilet or incinerating toilet is proposed for installation on a lot meeting the requirements of § 71.63 (relating to retaining tanks), it shall be deemed equivalent to and permitted as a privy. The device shall be operated and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications. Discharges of liquids from these units, except to onlot sewage systems meeting the requirements of this part or other method of sewage disposal approved under this chapter or approved by the Department are prohibited.

Authority

The provisions of this § 73.65 amended under section 9 of the Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act (35 P. S. § 750.9); The Clean Streams Law (35 P. S. § § 691.1—691.1001); and section 1920-A of The Administrative Code of 1929 (71 P. S. § 510-20).

Source

The provisions of this § 73.65 adopted August 30, 1974, effective September 16, 1974, 4 Pa.B. 1805; amended January 21, 1983, effective January 22, 1983, 13 Pa.B. 508; amended November 7, 1997, effective November 8, 1997, 27 Pa.B. 5877. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (217338) to (217339).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.