The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and the boys made it to camp last wknd for a "boys wknd"...they said mom not allowed! we found this beautiful road kill bobcat about 2 miles from camp. it was still warm and flexible so it couldn't have been there long. the youngest boy, fisher, was in total love from the git-go and wanted it in his sleeping bag...lol!!!

I called sat morn and made the arrangements to get the proper permit to be able to keep the cat. a lil more money than I expected...$100...but the boys love it and would be heart broken if they had to give it up. I talked to them and they are gonna use $20 each of their own money to get he hide tanned and they can call it their own. I'll work the $20 out of each of them some way so they get it back but have to earn it and learn a little about the value of a dollar. fisher (7) on the left and hunter (9 almost 10) on the right

20 lb female on the scale and beautiful spots. when I took the cat to my fur guy he said it was the best one he'd seen this yr and was worth prob $85 in the round. it was a little bit of a kick in the junk to have to get my cat this yr off of the road but ohh well. I took of work and trapped the wk between x-mas and new yrs but we got "15 of snow the day after I set and it was a bust. ohh well...take em any way I can get em...LOVE THEM CATS!!!

the rest of the wknd we spent locating elk and looking for sheds but all the bull were still holding although I had heard several reports of sheds starting to be found and people seeing shed bulls

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nice find! It's good to hear you're doing it "by the book" and getting the permit. Also neat that you're having your sons contribute to the tanning cost.

I'm glad she won't go to waste, she'll make a nice wall-hanger

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nice,I like it.Just don't fool with it too much.I assume thats a heated cabin.Skin it as soon as possible.Don't foo around with it alot or else the fur will slip.If you can't skin it freeze it.It will be a good bobcat to get tanned. One of my favorite things to do is pickup roadkill.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
It's a good thing Mom wasn't there or I fear that cat wouldn't have came back to camp with yinz boy let alone into the camp.
Awesome find!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
squeaks, although im sure she wouldn't have been to impressed she would've lost on a majority vote...lol

ron, nope she wasn't beat up bad...just a mushy front shoulder but not hide damage at all

she went right into the fridge after the cpl pics and stayed till we left sun and then into my beer fridge when we got home and then to the fur guy mon after work

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice pictures!

I still remember my mom stopping to let my young mind investigate roadkill species as a kid ... Some great memories we shared poking at dead critters.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Those pictures will be legendary someday. Nothing like a roadkill fur coat

Great stuff, I am sure there will be many stories told about those pictures

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Great pics!!! Classic for sure.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice that the cat wasn't all splattered up. Good pictures. You can show them off at your sones wedding someday.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
make the kids help skin,then a "good" lesson on gun safety and clean some guns,start to finish.
win/win on both sides.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts