The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about building a pavilion or shelter type of thing to have a place to cook and just hangout outside. Not looking to be huge but big enough for a grill and picnic table. Also building on a budget and have a lot of stuff already.

Just looking for ideas

·
6,448 Posts
tater i can hook you up with telephone poles you can use as the posts let me know if your interested.....if you are you can by me a beer at the halton and we will call it even

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
12x12 with "A" shaped roof,,leveled with chipped stone so that grease and beer will soak in the ground..Bolt 2x12's to your poles,metal roof might be too hot, might use white shingles,if you decide to concrete the floor later on you have a god base, couple guys couple weekends , have at it....

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Tater, years ago we got free telephone poles from an electric outfit that removed a line. A little rouch cut hemlock and some roof tin, we were in business. As the years went by we concreted the floor, added a BBQ and chimney at one end, and even installed roll up sides for bad weather. To look at it today, you would think we spent thousands when really we have only a few hundred bucks in it.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds about like what I want to get ours to someday. We just scored some poles ( thanks tree) so once we get them all we really need is roof stuff, I have everything else.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
...make sure you throw some pvc stubs in if you plan on pouring a pad......for elect/ water in the future.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i converted an old carport at camp into a 20x30 pavillion a few years ago. best thing i've done. it has a 6x6 walk-in cooler with a tap system. this summer it will get small kitchen and bar and a pig roaster. it allows you to be outside in the summer when its pouring down rain and stay dry. also keeps the sun off of you when its hot out. i'd highly suggest going as big as you can. mine is good for even the heaviest downpours but when the wind blows the rain sideways even the middle gets wet. i'll be sipping a cool one and listening to some tunes under mine tonight.

i gotta warn you though, it attracts neighbors bearing food and beer and sometimes they stay til all hours.

Redneck Acres Party Pavillion

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Tater, suggestion, be sure you have a good drain.

At our local sportsmens club the inside of the pavillion was dug out a little for the gravel and it turned into a pond after a heavy rain, with the snow melt it was a skating rink at times. We have since solved the problem.

Good advise on running PVC conduit for future electric.

Maybe an "overshot roof" to let the smoke out of the pavillion?

·
Registered
283 Posts
we are thinking of getting one of the metal carports and using it as a pavillion. im worried about using any wood since the firepit is going to be real close. there between 699-899 and they install it. but im just worried the installers wont be able to understand me if you know what i mean. lol

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
charger7022 said:
we are thinking of getting one of the metal carports and using it as a pavillion. im worried about using any wood since the firepit is going to be real close. there between 699-899 and they install it. but im just worried the installers wont be able to understand me if you know what i mean. lol
Illegal Aliens?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
charger7022 said:

Not the best pic's but built this a couple of years ago.

Put the posts on piles. The lumber was around $5-600 - the roof was the expense. That and time.

Really not that hard - just start square with the layout and installation of piles.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya that's sweet, I could live with about half of that

The roof does seem to be the expensive part

1 - 20 of 36 Posts