The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the meals that everyone makes for/at camp?

Anything that you do every season?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very predictable, for many years...

Breakfast:
cereal, toast, oatmeal
sausage & pancakes or bacon & eggs (hunting days)

Lunch:
lunch meat & cheese sandwiches, homemade chicken noodle soup
3 meatloafs made at home, sliced for sandwiches (hunting days)

Dinner:
Thanksgiving leftovers
Spaghetti & meatsauce, garlic bread
Ham balls/loaf & mashed potatoes
Round steaks w/ gravy in crock pot

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was thinking about having prime rib one day. Easy thing to make and I even made it at home a couple of times, but very expensive. Just google chef John's prime rib.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We always have Backstrap on Saturday and/or Sunday night as a snack. Big breakfasts and usually crockpot dinners. Lunch meat and soup for lunch. Way too many sweets.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hungry Man TV dinners.
More time Hunting less time Cooking. Just kidding of course.
A batch of Chili should always be on hand.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When I go to camp, everyone expects me to make Ox Roast sandwiches. I imagine many here have never had one, its more or less a local thing.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Breakfast:
oatmeal cereal
Green tea unsweetened

Lunch:
Yogurt
raw fruit
water

Dinner:
1 egg any style
1 slice whole wheat bread
salad with lettuce, baby carrots, red pepper slices

Bedtime snack:
no way

·
Registered
3 Posts
how about names

At our camp we seem to cook the same thing every year as well we even came up for names for them, for instance one of the easier meals and quicker ones is now called crash dinner why you may ask well here is the story. In 2004 we were having light snow on a Tuesday I had my truck in 4 wheel drive as we are driving to high nob to make phone calls to the now X wives (yes half the gang have new wives now) the other truck in our party did not do the same as I make the turn to go up the hill to high knob our smart friend behind us did not make the turn and off the road he goes and flips his truck. Well seems bad right? It ended well a tow truck came from willamsport flipped the truck pulled it up the hill we put the cap on added some transmission fluid and off we went hungry as heck seeing it is now 430 and we have not eaten all day. We arrived at the camper and fixed the quickest thing we had now that meal is labeled crash dinner.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
My long time huntin' bud had a "rule" that whoever got the first deer, coughed up back straps for that night's supper. Which in the old buck/doe seperate seasons, was almost always Monday night. Usually cut 'em up into fillets, marinated and cooked out on the grill. Little white taters, salad or some veggies.

Invited my farmer cousin over one night for that feast, as his wife/daughters were all off on a shopping trip. Said if he'd known we ate that good, he'd make it a habit to show up every year for back strap night.

Before my bud passed away, we always had spaghetti and meatballs Sunday night before the opener. Now I head over to the local Grange Hall on Sunday nights for their big feed. Guess that'll be Friday night, this year?

I take along lots of meatloaf, lasagna and whatever else we've made at home and put in the freezer, to take along to deer camp. Friday night fish fry at the Home Comfort restaurant, at least once. About the only time we eat out while at camp. I'm normally donuts and coffee for breakfast, except for Sunday mornings at camp. Then it's bacon and eggs.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These all sound great! We're headed up to the cabin the Friday of Buck Week, to hunt that day as well as the opener of Doe/last day of Extended Bear (Sullivan County/3B).

I've been squirreling away food into the freezer to keep the REQUIRED cooking to a minimum that week. There's 3 of us. One guy (my FIL) doesn't cook, the other guy (his brother) eats truly for sustenance only (happy to nuke a Hungry Man, or even eat a Granola Bar). Me...I love to cook, but I don't care to ONLY cook.

I've got a gallon and a half of chili, some frozen shredded chicken meals from the Crockpot, and frozen meatballs. I'm contemplating making a lasagna, but I don't really like the idea of freezing it.

That Sunday, we'll watch football and probably get pizza...if we can find a place nearby to get pizza.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Breakfast:
oatmeal cereal
Green tea unsweetened

Lunch:
Yogurt
raw fruit
water

Dinner:
1 egg any style
1 slice whole wheat bread
salad with lettuce, baby carrots, red pepper slices

Bedtime snack:
no way
I’m guessing this diet is for health reasons, otherwise I’d have some fun with it!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts