The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head to camp this weekend and plan on making David's ABT'S what all else do you guys make when at camp? I have access to a charcoal grill I built that was a 55 gallon drum split sideways so we have a fair amount of grilling room. Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Boy, to me, nothing is as camp-like as a good hot dog done over a open fire. Lots of fun, especially if you have kids along. Let the kids cook their own, and they will taste better to them. I get a good brand of skin-on franks (up here that means either Hoffmanns or a couple of different butcher made dogs), but Hebrew National (a.k.a. Death by Garlic) or Sabrette will do in a pinch. If it rains, do them over charcoal on your grill. get some good new england style buns. Have all the usual fixin's like a good mustard, ketchup, relish, chopped Vidalia onions, and horseradish. What could be finer. Have a potato or potato-egg salad to go along with it. Dessert- maybe some-mors or mini pies done in a pie iron.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is one I need to share with you guys. we make it over the fire and call it jambalaya.

4 cut up chicken breast
1 lb of hot sausage
1 lb smoked sausage
1 cup of celery (chopped)
1 cup green onion(chopped)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2 garlic cloves (cut up)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes (we use ours from the garden)
12 oz of V-8 hot and spicy
1 small can of tomatoe juice
1 cup of water
1 cup of rice (add more or less for thickness)

Cook chicken,ground & smoked sausage, garlic,celery, onion, peppers together until brown then add tomatoes and juices. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

I will give fair warning, only eat one bowl which is very hard to do, will also make beer taste very good but you will only be able to drink 2 at the most and will require a nap
Mike

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Farflung said:
Boy, to me, nothing is as camp-like as a good hot dog done over a open fire. Lots of fun, especially if you have kids along. Let the kids cook their own, and they will taste better to them. I get a good brand of skin-on franks (up here that means either Hoffmanns or a couple of different butcher made dogs), but Hebrew National (a.k.a. Death by Garlic) or Sabrette will do in a pinch.
Ditto...I also like to add canned pizza dough to make pigs in a blanket. wrap the dogs with the dough, THEN cook them slowly so as not to burn the breat...great hand food and easier to transport than buns (i hate smashed buns) and in a pinch, my boys love bread-STICKS

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
depends on what the crew wants but wings and clams are the norm for camp food. supplemented with burgers and dogs. did steak subs and peppers/onions once. that went over good.

I think my fav camp meal though when camping is a foil baby. half lb of meat tater some onion carrots and some bbq sauce throw in some heavy duty reynolds wrap and cook till taters is soft. bout a half hour. flip every 15 minutes. pull out of fire cool for a few minutes cut the top of the foil pack open and go to town. extra bbq sauce required.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My youngest brother is a Chef at a local PGH country club and usually does all the cookin at camp - when people ask what is for dinner - his favorite reply is "What ever I put on the table" You don't mess with the cook!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
bigben said:
I think my fav camp meal though when camping is a foil baby. half lb of meat tater some onion carrots and some bbq sauce throw in some heavy duty reynolds wrap and cook till taters is soft. bout a half hour. flip every 15 minutes. pull out of fire cool for a few minutes cut the top of the foil pack open and go to town. extra bbq sauce required.
yep, we call them foil packs. i put two burgers, a chunk of butter, onions, garlic powder and salt & pepper and doublewrap them in foil. do the same with some sliced potatoes. also do sliced apples with sugar and cinnamon. throw them on the grill or in the coals and let them go. let them cook for a couple hours depending on how hot and them eat them on paper plates. only clean up is the forks. i actually like them better than grilled burgers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts