The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a great deal of posts about how much people love having a camp to go to but I never see posts about it being a financial burden or too expensive for the amount of time they are actually there.

It seems to me the expense of travel, upkeep, and time is huge. Does anyone feel it's getting to be too much to keep it going?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
We are lucky at our newly founded camp (bought the property in November of 2012 and dropped the "shabin" in place in September of 2013). Two of the three guys are about 55 minutes travel time, and the third is 35-40 minutes....so we get to utilize our camp quite a bit. A lot of guys on here travel 2, 3, 4 hours or more to their slice of heaven.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you are looking at it purely from a financial position, it does not make sense to buy a cabin. The same could be said for owning a boat or an airplane or something else that is an expensive hobby. But I think the true value comes in the memories that are made there. It takes time to drive to the cabin and there is work throughout the year to keep up with the maintenance. But when I am there with my family, I can honestly say it is therapeutic. I disconnect from the world and truly relax. I would not have bought my cabin if I could not afford it. If you're going to go in deep debt to buy one or if you have other pressing financial needs, it is not worth it. But if you do have the means to buy one it is a good investment from a quality time standpoint.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Mossie, it might be that the guys on here are still actively using their camps. The camps that have not had a visitor in months/years more likely would fall into the financial/time burden.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I guess if it's a financial burden, should you own it? Our camp is supported financially within our family. We don't have club rules, dues, etc. I expect visitors to donate either money or time. And I will never ask. I will say the up keep is a little harder today, than 25yrs ago when we purchased it. Camp is in Sproul, and we live in SEPA. So its about a four hour drive. Friends and family have moved on, so a lot less helping hands these days. And outside maintenance is always planning around the weather.
With that, I will never trade it, or give it up. It's my mental and physical respite. Hunting, fishing, hiking, or just having a beer next to the fire. It's all good.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
What isn't a finacial burden in todays world.
I guess it depends on how much ya like it.
Our camp is 5 hours away and the fuel cost to run up and back plus driving around up there along with tolls can be pricy.
I just love Potter Co.
I don't hang in bars or gamble so I find a way to make ends meet.
Granted I don't make the amount of trips up to camp like I use to due to the financial demands to go there.
I rember years where my son and I would make the trip 5 wekends out of 6 during Archery.
Now that would be a financial burden.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Part of buying is deciding if you can really afford it. If you only look at the money situation, it's cheaper to rent than it is to buy. Even cheaper yet if you stay at home and never leave the house. But part of the renting is finding a location that is available for you to rent when you want to rent it.
We decided long ago before we bought ours is what were we going to do with it, how many times were we going to use it and who will use it. And what were we going to do with it after we can no longer use it. We thought of the taxes we were going to pay, the cost of maintenance, and who was going to do the work. We looked at the amount of money we will spend on the project and then decide if we wanted to use that amount towards a cabin or do we spend it on other vacations like Disney, or theme parks or just traveling the country.
We sat down and made decisions.
Sure it's not cheap, sure the taxes are high, sure the gas to travel is a killer. But it is what we decided to do. We don't like sand in my swimming trunks, don't like crowds at Disney, don't like crowds at all to tell you the truth. What me and my wife decided we wanted was a cabin away from it all. A place that we can go to any time we wanted and didn't ask permission to go or schedule an open time frame. It's ours. No matter where we were going to go to, it's gonna cost money.
What is the price you will pay for your happiness? I get out of the truck at the cabin, stand on the back porch and I listen for a while and do you know what I hear????
NOTHING!!!!
I'll pay for that.

Big D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Buckethead said:
I can't put a price on the serenity and mental well being my camp brings me.

That is the God honest truth, my friends (city slickers) don't understand why I like going up to camp so much. I always tell them how relaxing and enjoyable it is when I'm up there, whether it be a hunting, fishing, or just a trip of doing nothing I'm always relaxed when I'm there. I can't wait to be there this weekend.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
I've spent a measely 29 days in Tioga Co. so far this year and will be lucky to match last year's measely total of 59 days spent at camp. Did hit 65 days a few years ago, figured to increase on that each year. I was wrong.

3+ hour drive one way, coupla thousand per year in taxes, utilities and insurance, not to mention some annual upkeep expenses. Next spring it will get a new roof, as the original part was built in 1980.

I could spend a few weeks at the shore in a luxury accomodation each year, for what it costs to have a camp.

Ain't been to the shore in over 36 years, don't miss it.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Our biggest expense is driving up. 4 of us built our cabin with the exception of excavating for cabin and outhouse. I would guess our electric bill averages $12.00 a month, that may be high. Taxes are around $1200.00 a year, other than that, not much. This is all divided by 4. We have association dues of $200.00 a year too. So it's shy of $1600.00 a year /4. Of course there is the cost of maintenance, but I don't count that
. We love it!!

Oh, I think our insurance is about $100.00 per person.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really doesn't make much sense financially to own a camp, but does it make financial sense to play golf? It all depends on where your priorities lie. Like everything else the cost of owning a cabin has gone up over time, but it's still worth it to many of us. What's really funny in our case is that we're not spending much more time up there now that we're retired than we did when we were working. Really don't know why that is.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think you need to look at what kind of camp you'll be happy with. I have seen camp on here that are nicer than my home, just the expense is high.
My camp is on state forest land with no modern conveniences. It has a small stream just outside the door for water, wood heat, gas lights, a shower, the out house, no cell phone service, and 3 public TV channels, I have less than the price of a new 4 wheel drive pickup in it. The expenses run between $1200 and $1500 a year, that includes rent, taxes, insurance, and upkeep. Wouldn't trade or sell it for less than $100,000.00

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just got done with remodel 3 yr. project. Don't like to work with wood, but loved time at camp putting wood interior. Camp pretty much done wife loves, I love, But best of all son loves. Not thinking about selling but handing down. One thing the less people involved the easier. Good Luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guess it depends on the kinda camp you own and where it is located. My place was paid off when I bought it for about the price of a used truck. The property taxes on my little shack in southern Potter, including school taxes, is only about $120 a year...Haha. Electric is about $20 a month when I'm not there. I keep a landline for about $20 a month. Pump out the holding tank once every year or two for $300. I filled up the oil tank about 10 years ago and I think it's still half full. And the propane tanks get filled every couple years too. I only get to camp 1 to 6 times a year. Like some have said before me, the cost of gas and food for one trip is more than I spend on the camp all year.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well we go in warren co. Out camp road used to be very active during deer rifle season. There wasn't a camp empty when I first started, because a lot of the camps around us were guys from Ohio. One guys right next door is from Ohio but he is one of the only ones who still come up. He had two guys also from New York. When they changed these regulations and the deer population slowly went on the down fall mixed with license increases it became a lot of money invested into going to camp and not see any deer. Now half the camps on our road are either empty for deer seasons or falling down. Ive only been hunting for 17 years I'm 29 now. I live in Pittsburgh and a lot of my buddies stopped going to their camps as well and started hunting from home because of the gas n such. So there's def an financial burden on some of these guys.

Out camp was built in 1959 and some of the stuff is outdated and needs fixed. Its just expensive to do these stuff that needs done and not to mention it takes 4 hours to drive there so pretty much a tank n a half of gas. It adds up and I still go up because I love it up there but I know some guys from our camp can't spend a few 100 bucks to take a ride up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
mossie said:
I see a great deal of posts about how much people love having a camp to go to but I never see posts about it being a financial burden or too expensive for the amount of time they are actually there.

It seems to me the expense of travel, upkeep, and time is huge. Does anyone feel it's getting to be too much to keep it going?
I can understand what you are thinking. I used to live in da 'burg and drive 4 hours to camp. That was a lot of travel for the limited weekends. It was always worth it but the drive was too long. Have you ever considered moving closer to camp?

When the kids were very young I did not go up much either. They were in 2 1/2 sports each, family commitments, etc. We decided to cut back on some sports because we were missing going to camp too much. We can now go more often. Are you missing camp because of too many kids activities? There will be a time when they reduce their activity schedule.

I am going to add another reason to go to camp....take your kids to camp to keep them out of trouble at home. When I was young I wanted to stay home during weekends for friends parties and doing other things that would get me in big trouble. Dad knew these would continue to get me in trouble so he forced me to go to camp to stay out of trouble. He was much smarter than I ever thought.

All of the posters have great perspective and reasons for camp and I agree with everyone of them. Have you every considered trying to use a more fuel efficient vehicle to go to camp? Do you shut the gas and electric completely off when you depart?

Now if you don't go because you don't have desire or not anyone else wishes to go to camp any longer then that is a completely different decision you need to make.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts