The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
unless i did the math wrong, which is very possible, thats roughly $7500 for a 24x32 just for siding. kinda pricey but in the long run may be worth it if you never had to touch it again.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've noticed a lot of camps/garages/sheds up in Warren area have what looks like pine plywood or planks with strips of what look to be 2x2's about 12 inches apart covering up the seams. They stain it after its all done and it looks real nice. Anybody know what they call that stuff, and where you buy it? Eventually that is what I plan to put on my camp. It is painted concrete block now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's board and batten. The battens are used to cover the joints between the boards. We did our camp in rough cut hemlock and it looks great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Squeaks said:
Porcupines love T-111. We had it on my father in laws and the ate it up like candy.
I have seen where porky's have chewed on the aluminum road signs marking the forest service road numbers in the ANF man that has to hurt!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wash Co_Archer said:
I've noticed a lot of camps/garages/sheds up in Warren area have what looks like pine plywood or planks with strips of what look to be 2x2's about 12 inches apart covering up the seams. They stain it after its all done and it looks real nice. Anybody know what they call that stuff, and where you buy it? Eventually that is what I plan to put on my camp. It is painted concrete block now.
In Fryburg there are a couple of amish saw mills that will have what you want.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Buddy of mine did his camp in board and batten, then right before he went home for a few weeks, they sprayed on a coating of petroleum based products- I think it was a 1:1 mix of kerosene and oil--it gave the boards a nice color and the bugs stay away.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How does board and batten stand up against the porkies. Right now they are not a problem but I know they are in the area.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Boat Capt said:
Squeaks said:
Porcupines love T-111. We had it on my father in laws and the ate it up like candy.
I have seen where porky's have chewed on the aluminum road signs marking the forest service road numbers in the ANF man that has to hurt!!!!!!
Saw this and have to comment. Food and Cover was having an awful time this year with porky damages to food plot equipment. Almost everyday occurrence in some areas. Was talking to a person from DCNR this morning and was told porkys ate a hole in the metal roof of a new building recently constructed. Also, people walking the West Rim Trail of the Grand canyon have returned the next day to find brake lines/fuel lines... chewed.

What to use for siding? Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take a look at hardi board. It is a concrete siding that comes in planks or 4x8 sheets that look like t111. you can get it prefinished or primed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Frbritt said:
How does board and batten stand up against the porkies. Right now they are not a problem but I know they are in the area.
The porkies are after the glue in T-111. They seem to leave the board and batten alone

21 - 32 of 32 Posts