The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the crude post I'm on my cell our new camp (owned for four weeks) was broken into since the last time I was up. Second time I've brought the wife and kid fun suprise. The broken window sure makes the back half of the cabin cold. Low lifes.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
That stinks man, cover the window with what ya can and make the best of it.

It's a real shame the way people treat each other

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sorry, its simply a way of life for some bottom feeders. Arnot is really a nice little place. Do your best to make friends with the neighbors. They used to have a little message board at the post office, you can find some nice folks there who may be helpful. The more friends you make there the less likely it will happen again. Also, Sams Club has a nice inexpensive camera system you could install discreetly. Nothing like going to the police with a nice video of your culprit, just a thought.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
There is a clear film you can put on the windows that make them sledge hammer proof. The Tuscarora Cabin association had a guy come in to tell us how to protect our cabins. Everything from doors to micro chips for our TVs etc. Really did not cost that much.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've made friends with the closest set of neighbors as well as one down the road a bit. Exchanged numbers so hopefully they can help keep an eye on the place while we are gone.

I wasn't aware that the post office was functioning?

The tip on the camera system looks great. However, the DVR's functioning temps are a low of 50. With no heat in the winter while we are gone it dips well below that. That might be an issue? As is the internet service, not sure what if any high speed is offered up that way. Will need to check it out.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-ch-4-cam-sys-4-400-tvl-cams/prod8770161.ip?cid=SPOT_3UP_1#desc

I believe we will be putting lockable shutters on the windows, switching the door so it opens out to prevent someone kicking in the door as easy, as well as mounting motion sensor lights outside. Hopefully that will help deter folks a bit.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
One thing I also do at my properties is, as soon as you make a friend ( Neighbor) you can trust, give them a sheriff badge. What I mean is, tell them if they see a strange vehicle or something odd, pull in, go to the door, ask them who they are, etc. They know your vehicle, give a neighbor permission to police the place. I also tell trustworthy neighbors when I am coming and when I am leaving, that way they know trouble if they see it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
... I believe we will be putting lockable shutters on the windows, switching the door so it opens out to prevent someone kicking in the door as easy, as well as mounting motion sensor lights outside. Hopefully that will help deter folks a bit.
We did the steel doors with bars, shutters, etc., only to have the scumbags take a sledge hammer and make an entrance through the concrete block wall, and then, once inside, they realized there wasn't anything worth stealing.

Sometimes, the harder you try to keep them out, the more expensive the repairs will be after they break in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts