The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im new to the forum but have been throwing mattresses out at my camp every few years for obvious reasons...they soak up moisture and the mice love to play on them, eat through them, crap on them, live in them and so on...i found this website that sells mattresses that would be great for a camp/cabin but they don't sell directly to residential customers.
http://americanbeddingmfg.com/mattresses/camp-mattress.html

They seem to made of the same material of say a wrestling mat...im thinking repels moisture and and hopefully doesnt attract vermin.

If any one has a business or a means to order these in a group purchase of sorts...id be interested in four of the standard twin size.

If you have the means to possibly order and want to work something out shoot me a private message. Im located in the Lehigh Valley PA area.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I get the whole bed bug thing, but I'm thinking of a few other things where some people assume if they are familiar with the "ick issue", it's ok.....ie, I slept there/did whatever there, so it's ok.

1. Not so sure a new cheap mattress from China is any "cleaner" than a used one per se.

2. Don't know about your camp, but between mice, and mold/mildew from our camp being closed up most of the year, a new mattress would be a biological experiment in short order, although you can't see any of it with your eyes.....cept maybe the mice thing. Old camp.....

Suggestion - whatever you get, take clean mattress cover, pillow, cases, and sheets with to camp when you go. Take it home, wash and repeat. Me, I just have a few libations and go to sleep in my sleeping bag wherever looks comfortable. Drives my sinuses nuts though with all the mildew/mold. Part of going to camp. I can't sleep comfortably on many junk mattresses at camp anyhow due to back issues.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My first experience with sleeping in a cabin turned out funny because I spread my sleeping bag on top of the plastic that the members always cover their beds with when leaving camp. The noise I created when I crawled into bed resulted in others yelling at me to stop the racket and take the plastic off the bed before getting into bed. I was thinking with the signs of mice turds I didn't want to possibly be sleeping in such gross remnants. Live and learn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im still interested in a possible group buy from: http://americanbeddingmfg.com/mattresses/camp-mattress.html

Description:
DLV-150 SERIES CAMP MATTRESS: (POLY-FIBER)
1.5 density poly-fiber core with 10.5 oz. ANTI-BAC™ 3-ply vinyl laminate cover.

ANTI-BAC™
covers are made from a 3-ply vinyl laminate fabric that is: WATERPROOF * FIRE RESISTANT * STAIN RESISTANT * ANTI-BACTERIAL

I cringe at the idea of sleeping on a used college mattress...I remember my own college days...no way! I get free is free and its better than mice crap but I can picture a CSI blacklight on it...not cool.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I needed a full mattress for my camp. I called the local mattrss store and asked for their "hotel" mattress. They sell for $90 and that was for a full and brand new. So far no complaints from the quest who have slept in it and I could careless if they do

21 - 31 of 31 Posts