The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Go to a local mattress store. Alot of times they take the old ones when they deliver the new ones. Thats what i did. They didnt have a problem telling me what kind of homes they came from. I still cleaned them good though.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
'Ya got that right. My son had them in his room several years ago. He had spent a weekend at some friends place in Philly and about a week later; we had a problem. Fortunately it was limited to his room only, but I still had the entire house "cooked". The process was a real pain and involved, among other things, the removal of all switch and outlet plates, emptying all drawers and bagging up all clothing and washing it in very hot water. Oh, and the money! How could I forget the money!? Buy new mattresses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Salvation Army store near Franklin PA sells used bedding that has been fumigated, as well as some larger GoodWill stores such as the one in Dubois.
There is a Mattress Store near Punxsutawney - Waltmans Mattress outlet that sells cheap - new mattresses.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I could be wrong, as I often am, but I believe my exterminator buddy told me that normal fumigation will not kill bed bugs?? I think I'd go with some cheapie new ones.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If a mattress is going to be used occassionally at a hunting camp, you probably should put it inside of a plastic liner anyways because while you are away, flies are living and dying on top of it. The mice are crawling around in on and around it, and no way of knowing how many people had sex on it - other camp members when you were not there. If it had bedbugs, they would have to bore a hole in it somewhere to get in and out. If it was in plastic, you would be able to see the hole..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never got one but Big Lots has matresses for around $100. They might just be the thick foam pads not sure but its a place to sleep.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am an exterminator and take it from me unless you know for 1000 percent sure its clean and even then I wouldn't take a used mattress. Buy new ones and Big Don it depends on what they are using for fumigation. If its Vikane it will kill em but I would bet he is talking about heat treatment. Fumigation is very expensive to do a whole home unless the company has a chamber to treat individual items.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bed in a box.... Sold at walmart shipped in a box. box is 3ft by 5ft in the box for twin. Vacuum sealed and works great for the money. Perfect for the cabin, might even work well for daily use. No bed bugs, easy install, low price. I was not going to deal with $500 for something I wont use much. Didnt want to put out money on junk either. This so far has worked.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
A member on here has been kind enough to offer them from a local college for free . Every 2 years the college gets new ones for the dorms and they are top notch . Many have benefited from the deal over the last several years ,myself included . Our camp got twenty mattresses and could not be happier with them . Normally this is a spring post on this forum . If you can wait a few months you will be glad .

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Hey dc21, they are really good at boring holes in human skin. I mean, a bed bug bite ain't nothing to take lightly as they are fast to get infected and leave nasty scars.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought some mattresses at a used furniture store that is a few miles from my camp. They were double bed mattresses and looked almost new and had tags on them that said they were cleaned, fumigated or something ,I can't remember what it said. I only paid $20 each. I bought 2 because I made a double bunk bed.

·
Registered
39,295 Posts
jimsdad said:
Hey dc21, they are really good at boring holes in human skin. I mean, a bed bug bite ain't nothing to take lightly as they are fast to get infected and leave nasty scars.
I know they bite human skin but I took his post to mean they can bore a hole in a mattress and possibly live inside. I don't think they are capable of doing that as they live in seams and crevices of bedding, in suitcases, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts