The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Different view when there isn't a lot of ambient light from artificial sources to drown out the stars. I always like to see the stars at sea, they seem to be so many more and they appear larger because when the sun goes down at sea, it is as black as black can be.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Different view when there isn't a lot of ambient light from artificial sources to drown out the stars. I always like to see the stars at sea, they seem to be so many more and they appear larger because when the sun goes down at sea, it is as black as black can be.
I was a flight deck trouble shooter for the aircraft engines and worked the night shift. Between launches and when the aircraft returned there was a lot of down time. I use to climb down into the safety nets along the edge of the deck, lay on my back and look at the stars, just beautiful.
Another neat thing, was when we were in the North Atlantic. I could stand on the flight deck facing west watching the sun go down, due an about face, and watch it come up at the same time.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I was a flight deck trouble shooter for the aircraft engines and worked the night shift. Between launches and when the aircraft returned there was a lot of down time. I use to climb down into the safety nets along the edge of the deck, lay on my back and look at the stars, just beautiful.
Another neat thing, was when we were in the North Atlantic. I could stand on the flight deck facing west watching the sun go down, due an about face, and watch it come up at the same time.
I spent many a summer night in the safety netting on the flight deck of my LSD. Also was in the north Atlantic and a card carrying Blue Nose and member of the Polar Bear club.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Think I got one of those cards somewhere too. I know I earned and had one at one time.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Did you see the Northern Lights and the mirages when you were up there. We anchored off a little place named Andoy Norway and we would see upside down villages in the ocean and the Northern lights were indescribably beautiful up there, a real light show.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Did you see the Northern Lights and the mirages when you were up there. We anchored off a little place named Andoy Norway and we would see upside down villages in the ocean and the Northern lights were indescribably beautiful up there, a real light show.
Didn't see them when I was aboard ship, but I spend's 18 months station in Newfoundland, saw them a couple of times there.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
very neat picture , if you`re into star gazing , try Cherry Spring Park in southern Potter County . they have star gazing parties . it is classified as a dark sky (I believe the right terminology) area . they have an area for people to set up telescopes .

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Cool pic....One of the things I liked about hunting the mid west was how much more the stars popped then back here in the burbs....It was like you could reach up and touch them....

·
Registered
269 Posts
If any of you have a night vision device, on a clear night, turn off all of the camp lights and use the device to look at the sky. Instead of a bazillion stars, you will see a gagillion stars. We even saw several satellites passing over that we could not see with the naked eye

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
very neat picture , if you`re into star gazing , try Cherry Spring Park in southern Potter County . they have star gazing parties . it is classified as a dark sky (I believe the right terminology) area . they have an area for people to set up telescopes .
Reason being that area has very little light density, it's all state forest in that area mostly with very little light pollution.
Cherry Springs draws Astronomers from all over the country.
One of the darkest areas at night in the eastern U.S.:smile2:
Our Camp is not to far from there and we get some nice star filled nights around the Camp Fire.
Even seen a touch of the Northern Lights one night years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts