The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Ill probably get crap for this But IMO camo patterns are for us and not the game we hunt as long as you break up your out line it doesnt matter if your in a bare tree out in the open they will see you know matter what you wear, and if you have some things in your back drop branches, leaves and sit still youll be ok
^^^What he said. It's doesn't matter unless you want the bragging rights to "most money spent on camo".

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ill probably get crap for this But IMO camo patterns are for us and not the game we hunt as long as you break up your out line it doesnt matter if your in a bare tree out in the open they will see you know matter what you wear, and if you have some things in your back drop branches, leaves and sit still youll be ok
This is right. I’d worry more about comfort and quality, something that will last. I’ve killed them with the bow wearing F/O. Scent and movement get more hunters busted then the camo pattern they are wearing.
My daughter and I had a buck sniffing our boots while sitting on the ground in F/O in the youth doe hunt 2 years ago. Walked across the field right to us. Neither of us moved and the wind direction was right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have always thought along those lines, that no matter what pattern you are wearing, the deer is mostly just seeing a dark blob up in the tree. One of my stands has very little natural camoflage or breakup so I always thought a kind of snow camo pattern would be good in that spot

·
Registered
88 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned wool plaids,it’s a great form of camo plus wool absorbs light which give it a dulling effect,and extremly quiet when brushing up against anything in the woods.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned wool plaids,it’s a great form of camo plus wool absorbs light which give it a dulling effect,and extremly quiet when brushing up against anything in the woods.
I agree, and did mention that earlier. It really is surprising how well the red or green traditional PA plaids breakup the outline. Other colors would do the same, but the red or green are the most common in PA woods.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yup and wool is a great material
better than all the others imo
sheep are in the desert 100 degrees and in 70 below wearing the same thing my socks base layers, mid weight and heavy weight are all high % wool
even keeps you cool if you know how to use it

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Yup and wool is a great material
better than all the others imo
sheep are in the desert 100 degrees and in 70 below wearing the same thing my socks base layers, mid weight and heavy weight are all high % wool
even keeps you cool if you know how to use it
The only fabric that actually generates heat when wet! https://www.woolme.co.uk/blog/how-does-wool-keep-us-warm/

Not a tremendous amount, but there are times when I'll take whatever I can get. My preferred choice for the woods, by far.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Big Fan of Huntworth camo, particularly their disruption pattern. Plus they are a pittsburgh based company so like supporting local.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It has always been my belief that if they don't wind you or catch you moving you can wear just about anything you want? I have made kills wearing an old green army shirt and blue jeans. Turkeys are a different story!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
When younger,as part of my job, at times I was required to wear a tie and jacket (ick!!!). One morning, during the second week of rifle season,dressed for work, I walked outside and saw a good buck across the road. Went into the garage, grabbed my gun, and ran through the woods to where I thought that buck was heading. Shot him, while I was in full jacket and tie office regalia. I can tell you, through experience, leather soled wingtips are a poor choice of woodland footwear!

·
Registered
835 Posts
When younger,as part of my job, at times I was required to wear a tie and jacket (ick!!!). One morning, during the second week of rifle season,dressed for work, I walked outside and saw a good buck across the road. Went into the garage, grabbed my gun, and ran through the woods to where I thought that buck was heading. Shot him, while I was in full jacket and tie office regalia. I can tell you, through experience, leather soled wingtips are a poor choice of woodland footwear!
Did you get the buck? :)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts