The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back a few pages looking for an anwser, couldn't find one so sorry if this has been covered many times

I would like to get into taking pics more while in the field, I would like a better digital camera than the one I have(cheap one for up close pics at partys, hunting success, ect...) maybe one that zooms further, I don't have alot of money to spend maybe a used one. What are some suggestions on models, or bells and whistles I should keep an eye out for??

·
Premium Member
24,168 Posts
My buddy has one of these and it's a good camera for the money:

Camera

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I usually take a cheap one in with me too just because it takes alot of abuse getting knocked around in my backpack, so if it gets broken it won't bother me too much. The one problem with taking my camera in the woods with me is that it seems like I don't see much when I take it. When I leave it home, I miss alot of nice upclose pics. Just seems that way 90% of the time. Cant help you on a good camera though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Picked a new kodak up last Christmas and am not happy with it. Most of the cameras now have the screen display instead of the view finder. When the light is over my shoulder or bright I can not see what is on the screen. At christmas I wanted to take a picture of my grand daughter with my english setter in dark light. If it was not for the dog being white I would not have known where to focus the camera. There are ways to get the picture in darkness but how long will a dog and a 2 year old hold a pose. I looked for a new one for Christmas this year but decided to save a little more money and get a better camera. The Cannons were the one ones at Best Buy that had a view finder and a screen. The rest had the LCD screen only unless you went to a higher end camera.
Not a good picture but not for the white head I would not have been able to take it. I will probably be picking up what Moss displayed.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
B292 said:
I went back a few pages looking for an anwser, couldn't find one so sorry if this has been covered many times

I would like to get into taking pics more while in the field, I would like a better digital camera than the one I have(cheap one for up close pics at partys, hunting success, ect...) maybe one that zooms further, I don't have alot of money to spend maybe a used one. What are some suggestions on models, or bells and whistles I should keep an eye out for??
B, I just sold 2 Sony cameras.... a DSC-H1 and a Sony DSC-H9

Both were very good cameras for me. They were capable of just about anything. The later was a 15x zoom.
They both took very good photos for several years.

The only reason I sold them was me. I am doing a major upgrade with my photography hobby and I'm expecting my new camera and lens any day now. I opted for Canon this time around.

If your looking for something a bit cheaper but with a pretty decent zoom feature, check out the Sony..
I had very good luck with them.....

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nes,
Your LCD screen should have a brightness adjustment in the camera settings.
If your viewing a dark subject maybe you just need to darken or brighten your LDC screen.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
CowDawg said:
Nes,
Your LCD screen should have a brightness adjustment in the camera settings.
If your viewing a dark subject maybe you just need to darken or brighten your LDC screen.
Thank you. I will check on it.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
For longer distance photos in the woods to draw them in close it is best to get a higher optical zoom because it does not distort the object you are viewing. Some compact digital cameras are now getting up to 10 or 12X optical zoom which really draws your subject in...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I got a Nikon d40 for christmas, so far i'm impressed.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
paddy said:
I got a Nikon d40 for christmas, so far i'm impressed.
Thats a good camera That what I have Well the D40X.(pretty much the same camera)If you ever have any question about that camera just ask.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I always research new camera purchases at http://www.dpreview.com

just sayin'

Good luck with your new purchase. FWIW, i'm carrying a Casio Exilim EX-z60 as my daily shooter. i bought it b/c of the metal body, decent low light performance and SMALL size with an adequate zoom. I'd buy it again. But my next camera is gonna be a digital SLR with 2 lenses. I'm sick of missing out on the GOOD shots cus I just have a little p-n-s camera.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts