The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a video camera to film some hunts. My daughter has gone hunting with me last yr. & wanted to start filming her hunts. Not looking for anything high end. Just something lightweight, takes nice videos, etc. Been looking at the Sony's & gopros. Thanx.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just my two cents, but if you buy a go-pro, you will need to buy another primary camera as well. The go pro works wonderfully for capturing the up close stuff, but is really not suited for filming anything much past 10-20 yards.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I use a Sony Handy Cam. Mine is the CX220. There are other Sony models with different features. Mine is their cheapest model. I also use a Go Pro Black for a few shots. If you look at my You Tube channel you will see the quality pictures I am getting. When You are on You Tube, click the little gear in the lower left hand corner and set it to 1080p HD to get a feel for picture quality. It takes longer to load but you can see what you get with the Sony Handy Cams. Not bad for what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Google B&H Photo. Good prices. No shipping and no sales tax. I will be getting mine there. Nothing fancy for me either. The cheaper models are under consumer video cameras. I ordered my son's Go-Pro for dirt biking from them. Best price and I received it quickly with no problems.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also check out the Garmin Virb,same video quality as the GoPro,but cheaper.Also,the battery life is a lot longer! I just picked up the original model without all the bells and whistles,from Left Lane Sports,for $98 free shipping.

Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for all the advice. Def gonna check out some of your videos windwalker. & will check out that site racks. Kinda ruled out the gopro because it does seem to be for closer shots. Thanx again.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
that sony doent seem to be to big ,I wonder if it could be head mounted some way?the go pro has its place too but not for far away I don't think.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I film with a Panasonic TM700. It weighs 1 lb. and shoots in 1080p high definition. Awesome quality. Not sure of your budget, I paid approx. $800 for it about 3 years ago. I saw Panasonic now has a similar camera for about $500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts