The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm calling how long should I start then pause for if I'm using lucky bird or a distress call? I read the begginer post and it had all diffrent times for diffrent predators.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I really don't think there's a right or wrong amount. I do what ever I have to to make it sound like a real animal in distress. Chances are there not going to go for 5 min. Straight or at the same volume. I make it sound like its being attacked by playing with the volume. Make realistic and believable.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Like buck said.....

Make it sound realistic. What would a rabbit sound like if it was being attacked or stuck in a trap? Wounded by a car? One reason I sometimes use a mouth call is to get emotion involved. Again - think of what a dying rabbit or other critter would sound like. I like to think at first it is going to go ballistic, then as your sequences progress, the animal is going to get weaker and weaker. Think about it.

A gray fox or even a red fox isn't THAT much bigger than a rabbit. In my opinion, you want to make that fox think the rabbit isn't going to kick his / her guts out, when coming in to finish off the "deal".

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I usually run the call 30-40 seconds max....A lot of times
you can hear a predator approaching by just listening to
your surroundings..leaves crunching,sticks cracking,birds
chirping..ect.

Over calling is often overlooked and easy to do..Mess with
heads and prey on that curiosity instinct..Especially Coyotes...

Give it a try...Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts