The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your favorite calling sequences to bring in coyotes? Including how long you'll call and your silence in between. I typically try to use a distress for a couple minutes, 5 minutes of silence, repeat, if nothing i'll throw in a pup distress.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
59 views and nobody has anything to share?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never pause my call. Just let it run unless im gonna switch to a different sound. Let each sound play for atleast 6-8 minutes. Oh yeah, always start out on low volume cause predators could be close. Hope this helps alittle. Good Luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
I pause for as much as 5 min at times. Makes them curious sometimes. Specially yotes. Also i have long silent pauses between coyote vocals as well. Really depends on what is going on and time of year.

·
Banned
491 Posts
Fall - if I am in area known to have foxes, I will use baby rabbit in distress, let that run then switch to adult... After that has run about 10 minutes, I pause, then begin fox in distress.... my response times have varied from 30 seconds to 17 minutes this year.

If I am not aware of a fox presence, I will do the same, except i will finish with coyote pup in distress.

I try to vary the volume up and down pretty constantly.

As a side note, this forum more than others in my opinion, can be slow to generate responses. Sometimes I wonder if they think our questions are too basic, or if they feel they ahve talked too much about it, or if they dont want to let a secret out. Start talking about a painted step ladder, and wham, they are all over it.... lol

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
4 years ago I was hunting coyotes in the Mosquito Creek hunt. A so called friend asked me to go along with him since he had a FoxPro caller, so I got into the contest. At the last minute he decides to go with someone else and here i'm stuck without a caller. So another bud went with me, we took my wifes boom box along with a Johnny Stewart rabbit in distress cassette. When we got to where we were going he turned it on and it ran constantly. It wasn't 2 minutes we heard some coyotes howling on the ridge across from us. The player was still running. That coyote came right in the whole time it played. I never did get a shot though, it sky lined us. On another note my buddy that killed alot of fox the past 20 or so years always told me to play Grey Fox Pup Distress constantly.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just star with any high piched call quietly for 2-3 min. I never mute it just turn it down to zero, then I may switch calls depending on how much I like the first one. I usually wait untill the second or third call to start any fox distress. You get alot of veiws with no reply because I belive tyere are so many people reading this forum with out sighning up, I think the actual members post answers when you ask. thats why its important not to name places your hunting and maby even keep your sounds ect to yourself or pm, I dont mind sharing anything with anybody on here but Im not givong away advice to people that dont contribute anything to our forum. just my opinion though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts