The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is letting the call play for a few minutes stopping it for a minute and starting again to much calling? Also is it bad to play one sound for a few minutes then stop that wait a minyte or two and use a diffrent sound bad. I feel like thats what messed me up calling to much and switching it up.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
My boy just bought a Turbo Dog that came pre-loaded with coyotes calling sequences that were used on hunts by Randy Anderson.

Plays various sounds for varying durations with varying duration of time in between.

I have read several guys on here who were calling with , for example, the bay bee cottontail for a while and then after a short wait, switch to screaming gray....

I don't think that using different calls at the same set up hurt you as much as you think.

You might want to think about your volume control as a variable....I think I have been starting out too LOUD.

Good luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Takemrarely said:
My boy just bought a Turbo Dog that came pre-loaded with coyotes calling sequences that were used on hunts by Randy Anderson.

Plays various sounds for varying durations with varying duration of time in between.

I have read several guys on here who were calling with , for example, the bay bee cottontail for a while and then after a short wait, switch to screaming gray....

I don't think that using different calls at the same set up hurt you as much as you think.

You might want to think about your volume control as a variable....I think I have been starting out too LOUD.

Good luck
Yea I got the volume down I read and have been told by people to start out on 3 on the spitfire then after awhile if nothing shows up blast it at 5. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
925 Posts
bdemutis said:
Is letting the call play for a few minutes stopping it for a minute and starting again to much calling? Also is it bad to play one sound for a few minutes then stop that wait a minyte or two and use a diffrent sound bad. I feel like thats what messed me up calling to much and switching it up.
If your only waiting a minute then yes that's to much calling IMO. My typical stand will see me getting set up, using a bulb squeaker for a minute or so then wait about 2-3 minutes. Then I'll play baby cottontail starting off low and increasing the sound over a 5-6 minute period. I'll wait about 5 minutes if nothing then I hit scream n rabbit full volume for 5 minutes. Of course I'm using a scorpion which isn't quite as loud as the other foxpro callers. I'll then wait about 5 minutes then hit JS grey fox full volume. After that I may throw in a lone howl and see what happens followed by a KI-YI run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts