The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many different people asking about calibers for youth and small framed hunters or female hunters.
I have noticed that when a child or a lady is recommended a firearm it is almost always somewhere between the .223 and the .270 range. Many will tell you haw a well placed shot from these will sufficiently kill deer dead.

Now when a rifle caliber is suggested for the adult male hunter we almost always star the caliber at about .30 and work our way up to .45

this is going to sound silly to some but if a .243 is sufficient for a deer in one set of hands why wouldn't it be sufficient in any set of hands?
Why the discrepancy in suggestions?

Is it an ego thing for guys?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Its because men are typically larger framed and can normally handle a gun with more recoil then a kid or woman can. Its always good for the experience to be a positive one instead of a shoulder jarring .300 Win bad day. With this they can learn the proper shooting form without moving to anticipate the recoil or jerking the trigger. I personally shoot a 7mm mag because I like the ballistics and knockdown power. Can I get the same from another gun, yeah, but this just happens to be the one I chose. There are plenty of women out there that shoot .30 caliber plus rifles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
100% with shadowchaser. I have a 10yr old and plan to get him a .243. Nice, reasonable priced ammo, plenty of power for deer, coyote, etc. Don't want him to not want to shoot because his shoulder hurts or it's too loud. He can keep the gun all his life or put it towards another of larger caliber when he's bigger and can fully handle the recoil. It's like starting out on a mini bike and graduating to a motorcycle, you have to learn how to handle it and respect it. I started with a .257 Roberts and took a deer the first year I had it. where I hunt has some big open fields and I realized as I got older that it may not have the power that I wanted for longer shots. I then got a .270 and just didn't like it. I then got my current Ruger 7mm mag. Plenty of power and I believe in it. We all try to make well placed shots, I hope. Sometimes for some reason, flinching, buck fever, wind, etc, our shots are a little off the mark, but not on purpose. I'd rather have that extra power to put the animal down than to wound it. Having a large caliber is no excuse for not learning how to shoot and it certainly isn't a macho thing. Everyone has their minimum caliber that they would use to deer hunt. Sure you can kill deer with a .223 or a .17. Are they optimal deer hunting cartridges, and I have both, no, no their not. IMHO.

·
Registered
599 Posts
A friend of mine asked to use my .243 for the first day so his wife could hunt. They went out in the morning, came home and her husband went back out the afternoon hunt and used my .243. He shot once, hitting the top of both lungs and dropped the deer right in his tracks, no movement what so ever.......his mind has since changed about the .243 and is lookin gto get one. It may not be enough for a poor shot but with a well placed shot it's deadly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bought my girl a 240 wby mag with m. brake and lop shortened ,, she loves it kicks like 223 with brake ..not hunting yet hope next year when she turns 8.......

·
Registered
931 Posts
My 8 year old daughter shoots a .223. Its a great starter round to get them used to the loud bang of a rifle compared to a .22.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A 243 or 223 or 25-06 is perfectly fine for deer. The reason for suggesting them to women and children is because they kick less, that is correct. I think the reason we suggest something larger for men is because this is the real world and "bad shots" happen. With a larger caliber like a 270, 280, 7mm, 300 etc we can "afford" to make a less than perfect hit and still make a kill. Recoil is not AS MUCH of a factor in flinching with men as it is with women and kids.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I asked a similar question as the OP did about a year ago. It makes no sence to me at all. Fine for women and children, but for some reason deer will somehow run for miles if shot by an adault male in some peoples minds.

I used to hunt with a big gun (7mm RM, 300WSM, etc...). All I found is that ammo costs more, less pleasent to practice, deer run just as far as if shot from a 243.

I've had one deer get away from the shot from my 243. It wouldn't have made a difference if I would have hit it with a 460 weatherby mag.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do I put this...
I am NOT being critical of women or smaller framed hunters or children. I want to know why if a 243 is sufficient in their hands it isn't sufficient in mine?

my sentiments is the first two sentences in hunt/fish365's post.

When I wanted a .270 I was told that it was a gun "for my sister" that I needed to "man up" and shoot a big boy rifle.
I have recoil issues from not being started with a proper gun, I learned to shoot a rifle with a 30-06 when I was 11.

I don't understand why a 270 will kill a deer for "my sister" but in my hands it is "not enough gun"...

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
cartemj06 said:
how do I put this...
I am NOT being critical of women or smaller framed hunters or children. I want to know why if a 243 is sufficient in their hands it isn't sufficient in mine?

my sentiments is the first two sentences in hunt/fish365's post.

When I wanted a .270 I was told that it was a gun "for my sister" that I needed to "man up" and shoot a big boy rifle.
I have recoil issues from not being started with a proper gun, I learned to shoot a rifle with a 30-06 when I was 11.

I don't understand why a 270 will kill a deer for "my sister" but in my hands it is "not enough gun"...
Ummm, sorry, but that's a 'teacher' issue there, nothing to do with the rifle.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
We are not talking about shooting cape buffalo. They will all kill deer. Everyone has a opinion about what is the best caliber. Who ever said a .270 was "for my sister" doesnt know what they are talking about, or maybe his sister goes 6-4 225. If you like the .270 get it. If you like the .243 get it. Dont worry about what others say.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hey that whimpppy hubby of mine carries an in line bone collector with two pellets, what a whimp!! I carry a 7mm/08 which has a little more of everything than his old front stuffer..MMMEeeeeeennnnnnn!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I already told you. Hitting where you aim is MOST important and smaller caliber take most of the "flinching" out of the equation BUT we hunt in the real world and if you can shoot a larger caliber without flinching it will give a little more "forgiveness" on less than perfect shots. You cleared up now?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im all clear i just wanted to see what the general impression was here.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Because its fun razzing guys about girly calibers?

Because my wife/daughter is a better shot than you?

Because guys read gun rags and don't think they can kill deer at 35 yards without the Mag-Du-Jour and the latest super ultra expanding ultrasonic exploding penetrating bullets?

But mostly for the same reason I ride a 1520cc 6 cyl motorcycle with 97hp and 96ft/lb torque at the rear wheel. Because we like big toys and the wife will just shoot the dang thing for us to gut.

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
it is an excellent point. Sauce for the goose and all that.

I've never been so fearful of white tail that I felt I needed an elephant gun. Some guys apparently are. Them deer must have gnashing teeth and sabre like antlers based on the use of dark continent magnums that some folks are using. Oddly back in the day, when the lever gun in 30-30 or 32 Special reigned in the woods, men and women hunters used the same guns and cartridges. Maybe them whoppin new magnums are the Enzyte of the gun world. Certainly cheaper than a corvette.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nothing wrong with your .243 if you are accurate with it. I've used a lot of bigger calibers before I picked my sweet heart. My #1 PA deer and bear rifle is my .260 Ruger compact. It's very accurate and I know when I pull the trigger on any deer or bear in PA that 140gr bullet will do its job. I have other rifles. Some I'm itching to take game with, but for 10 years its usually that little .260 that goes for a walk.

Now with ballistics nearly identical/slightly exceeding those of the 6.5 X55 Swede I still have folks question me using it on Pa black bear. When in Europe the 6.5 X55 is a fairly common moose round. Folks that say a .260 is a sissy caliber I challenge you to shoot mine off a bench with that little 16.5" barrel. Watch that scope don't smack you in the forehead!

Anyways to your .243. I don't see a problem with it. If your comfortable with it, and you can place a properly constructed bullet where it needs to be then who cares what folks say. Now if your someone who takes poor shots at deer I guess that 30-06 or new hot magnum might make an easier tracking job if you shoot your deer in the rear end or guts. You can follow the chunks.

If you take ethical shots at deer and use a legal caliber then theres no problem. I'm sure a deer can't tell the difference between a .243 or an 06 when shot in the heart/lung area.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I shoot a .300 weatherby mag with a muzzle brake. you know why? Because i want to demolish the deer i shoot, and i like to stand out with extremely loud booms. So the next time you hear a shot in the woods that sounds like a cannon or rocket launcher, just think, it could be me!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
bucktrap said:
I shoot a .300 weatherby mag with a muzzle brake. you know why? Because i want to demolish the deer i shoot, and i like to stand out with extremely loud booms. So the next time you hear a shot in the woods that sounds like a cannon or rocket launcher, just think, it could be me!
Why do you need a muzzle brake on a 300 Wby? How do you "demolish" a deer?

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
An old guy near Shartlesville used a massive muzzleloader bench rifle for deer. Set at a shooting bench along a pipe line with the distances marked by painting rocks and trees. 62 caliber bullet over about 200 grains out of a 4 ft barrel. Kind of like hunting deer with a howitzer.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts