The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking about tent camping here for a long weekend type thing in a few weeks. Anybody from here ever camp there? We don't live that far from there so we might take a ride over there and check it out on Tuesday. Looking to hear some of your experiences and what some of the pitfalls of this place may be. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Don , Caledonia is ok , but 12 miles east of there is a better choice in Pine Grove Furnace State Park . Fuller Lake is there and Laurel Lake 2 miles away . Check it out -you will be pleased .....Finn

·
Registered
982 Posts
Both areas are ok. Caledonia has a stream and pool. Big picnic area. Not sure how many tent sites are available. Pine Grove Furnace has a swimming area at each lake. Also has a stream running through it. There are two camping areas at Pine Grove (primitive and sites with water and electric) and if you camp at Pine Grove you will have to drive to either lake. New and nice bathroom facilities at Pine Grove with nice showers. Caledona you can probably walk to everything, but gets very crowded. For fishing it's probably better at the Lakes at Pine Grove. Both areas have the AT running through them if your into hiking (you can hike to the mid-point on the AT from Pine Grove). Also the AT museum is located at Pine Grove. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I camp at Caledonia on a very regular basis. My parents go once a month and it is really their home away from home. There are two campgrounds, the one, Hosack Run has a bunch of electric sites in the inner circle if you want electric sites. There are also a couple of sites that sit right next to a small creek that are only a tent could go in. The other campground, Chinquapin has a few electric hookups and also has more sites that kind of sit away by themselves and more popular for tents. Chinquapin also puts you closer to the pool, picnic area, and a majority of the hiking trails. Most of the hiking trails are great for the whole family. There are a few trails that are not advertised by the state park that are a little more advanced that loop through the state forest.

There is a lake nearby, about 4 miles from Hosack Run on top of the mountain in Michaux State Forest, Long Pine Dam. This is a gorgeous lake and is very popular for kayaking. There are tons of bluegills in the lake as well as decent bass, perch, and bullhead catfish populations if you want to do some fishing. You also have the Conococheague Creek that runs through the entire park which is stocked with mostly brook trout. I just fished it on Sunday and there are still a few left in there.

If you want to know anything else about the place, let me know.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Little Bear,I know Hosack Run has free hot showers but I am not sure about the other campground...You will have to call the park office..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we drove down there on Tuesday and loved it. The wife reserved us a site in the Hosack campground for 4 days in August. Can't wait to relax and unwind a bit. I appreciate all the info, and will probably be askin for more as I think of other stuff.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Have a great trip and drive around a bit . Nice area .

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we head to Caledonia this coming Sunday for our little camping trip.We will be staying until Wednesday. Can't wait! Relaxing by the campfire and do a little fishing, sounds like a good way to spend a couple days and unwind a little bit. Any fishing tips would be appreciated LOL

·
Registered
982 Posts
Probably a few fish left in the stream that flows through the park, although I have not fished it this year. You can drive up north on 233 a couple miles to where the old Chambersbure Reservoir was and fish that stream down a ways. There is a parking lot on the right side before the old waterway. Maybe a few stocked trout left, but should get a few natives. You will need hip boots or wade. The steams maybe a little low. If you want to go a little further up 233 (about 8 - 10 miles) you can fish Fuller Lake or Laurel Lake and Mountain Stream in between them. In Fuller Lake on the far side you can get into trout or bass. Good luck. See past posts.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we are here and camping and having a blast. It was raining a little yesterday when we were trying to set up the tents, but I guess that just added to the experience. Gonna do some fishing with the grandbabies tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts