The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year on the opening Sunday we stopped at pine creek at waterville at the rails to trails parking and there was a crazy thick caddis hatch going on. is that typical for that time off the year? no one was really catching anything but the fish were rising... we didn't stay long...would it make mute serve to fish emergers in a heavy hatch like that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Without being there to see what was hatching I would have to agree with attackone about it being a grannom hatch. Last year hatches seemed to be a few weeks earlier than the norm, meaning the grannoms could have been hatching then. I have also found out during this hatch I do much better with an emerger type fly than an actual dry fly. Was the feeding splashy rises or sipping. If they were splashy rises they were feeding on emergers coming up through the water. I have seen trout come clean out of the water to chase the caddis. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm I'm not sure. aren't grannoms usually small? these were petty decent size...you guys are probably right though I'm not that good with hatches. the rises were splashy so i figured emergers at the time meaning i need to broaden my fly selection

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tye and carry size 12-16 for the grannoms on oil creek. I tye a dark body with a bluish green egg sac and soft hackle with a black tungsten bead for my emergers , dynamite when the grannom hatch is on. Rarely use anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts