The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros & cons of cable stakes ? I never used them, but they look like they might have some advantages over stakes. My main concern is , how do you retrieve them or do you let them in the ground ?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I use pogo anchors....

One con is the driver...its a little expensive...

Pros...cheap...fender washer, a rivet, cable and 2 ferrules is it...

Light weight

Holds probably better than double stakes..

I attach them all to my traps and i am ready to roll...couldnt imagine lugging rebar stakes around...

They make numerous styles and you can make your own..some retrieve easier than others...pogos typically pull out easy for me..trick is pull straight up...a critter doesnt pull upwards like that so they hold...if you cant pull em, leave em or dig them out...ive left a few with a ribbon on them to dig out later in the spring...they are only a foot or so deep..

Can also run them on chain instead of cable...adds weight.and cost but last "forever" and much less likely to break....i change my cable every year or 2...just to be safe...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
As mentioned, let em in the ground or pull them. I make some longer for softer soil/wet areas just incase! I guess it depends on your time and economic situation as to what you end up doing! They are pretty cheap to make.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I pull them out with a pick-axe. Sometimes we need to put a piece of 2x4 under it in soft dirt and sometimes it is also necessary to dig around it to pull it out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like to use the super stakes.They are cast steel and hold up better for me. If I'm trapping in the mountains around here there is more rock that dirt so the cable stakes like the pogo or the berkshires don't do well.You can buy them with retrieval loops on them or you can weld a 5/16 nut on the top like I did. Trying to pull them out without a retrieval loop is tuff in rocky ground.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only cable stakes I have seen a retrieval cable on are the super stakes. The duckbills are cast aluninum and don't come with retrieval loops.I guess you could put retrieval loops on the sheet metal ones like the berkshires or wolf fangs but you would have more time and money in them than if you went ahead and bought the super stakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts