The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered for a CR class next month and while the trapping forum is hot, I figured it was a good time to ask questions.

I read the regs regarding CRs, I'm wondering who all is using greater than 3/32" cable? I'll be setting for coyotes as much or more than foxes next year so my goal is to hold them. I'm assuming 1/8" cable is probably popular amongst the guys targeting yotes? I plan on getting some cheap disposable stakes for anchoring instead of the chain stakes I'm using now.

Are you using just a bent piece of 9 gauge wire to support the CR?

I'd love to see some set ups, particularly closeups of the rig itself, but where they are set in the field would be helpful too.

I'm completely new to CR's. Definitely not abandoning traps though, just adding another tool to my bag of tricks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
may be dumb question but is there any around the williamsport area
how did you find that?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Dont think ive ever seen a snare heavier than 3/32"...

Ive held 2 yotes in 1x19...well...1 was held long enough to be stolen...i still count it as i know it was a yote and know.it was shot by a deer hunter and stolen...

Ive gone away from #9 wire...i use a stick and run #11 wire off the stick pounded into the ground...

I buy mine from snareone...unless you plan on using a bunch of them it is IMO best to leave it up to a master snare builder....the secret is how the cable is loaded....you can save money building your own...but i rather pay for quality...

They are simple and effective....hardest part for me is discovering trails that are worth cabling...but i dont have many critters here so that makes it tough for me..

(There is a cable in the 2nd pic...i took that pic for someone asking how formula 1 works...highly recommend dipping your cables in it!)

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I could never get it solid enough for my liking...i found it and easier to grab a stick and wrap 11ga wire around it...

I just pound the stick in the ground enough to make it solid and thats it...then at the end of the year i pile them up and save them..

The 11ga wire is thinner...but there is only a short length of it so it is solid...doesnt bounce or twist...when a critter walks into the loop the cable fires...no play in the support or anything..

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I went to Homedepot and got a spool of that Cable Fence Wire. I bent them all and fabricated my own just like the training book says.. they work fine and they just keep working year after year after year... I use cable anchor with the shoe to hold my restraints.. As of yet i have not missed a coyote that was in a restraint...
Now all you have to do when you go out in the wild is Think.. If I was a canine where would I run?.. they all have to drink water right... Stay away from the middle of stubble corn fields..Stick to the sides. Actually get out after a snow fall and just walk the edges and you can see just how canines act.. Snow never lies...Actually it's funny because you can even see where you almost caught one in your restraint in the snow too.. thats even rewarding in a sense...Almost so to speak!!!! But no cigar.. But it was still neat to see what you almost caught..

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
uncle buck, you are right on about the snow!

i love getting out in the snow and seeing what is going on...seeing how a critter reacts to sets is always awesome and a great learning tool...

i LOVE running cables..the simplicity to it is awesome..

the 2 ive made catches at were due to snow falls and fresh tracks...1 crossed a tree line...i hung a cable and the snow melted..3 or 4 checks later and i had her..or, another crossed there..

the other i had a pack come through a field..i back tracked and sure enough they came through a briar patch..took me a bit to funnel them down but i finally did..they all hunted different trails but the last 30 yards or so before they hit the wood line they all necked down to 1 trail...i set it hard..took about a week..

learning to set trails they will use again is huge...sure you can snag em on game trails when they are out hunting...but a crossing that is used regularly will make more catches...

one thing the snow taught me, i had a 2nd coyote come through the spot i cabled the one on the tree line...it was a good bit later..rains, snow, etc have came and gone and i had a fresh snow..the yote hit the breaks HARD right before the giant catch circle and went around it...it went through heavier brush to avoid it...it then started crossing up the tree line farther...season ran out and i never did get it..

great tools and glad we can use them! its a blast...just frustrating and tough for me having a few coyotes that move real sporadically..i never did set a line here at home this year just because i lost interest and wasnt seeing hardly any sign..not to mention i cant even pay for gas to check my line for weeks just to catch a few coyotes...

hopefully the fox will come back...i havent seen one since 2009..we had a decent population then...i started trapping in 2010 and NONE...lol..sad..heard of a few sightings this year...but i think they were seeing a red coyote...my buddy got a GOOD look at a red coyote the last day of our late deer season and i saw it in archery season and got busted by the one i didnt see...beautiful dog...looks like a giant red fox at first glance...

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
No problem! I am far from a pro....but learning as i go...many guys like using #9 wire...and other various methods to support the cable...my stick method seems to work for me...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts