The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
River is frozen solid...cold weather predicted all the way till March 5th...no melting of the snow pack, so it doesn't look like a nice smooth thaw. I gotta place in Wyoming County and I am getting worried...

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
You and many others. I wish you well.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
While all it seems to have done for the last month is snow, and none of it has melted, there's really very limited moisture trapped in the snowpack. The temps have been so cold and most of the snow has come from the northwest. Other than the this crust it's a light powdery snow. I took a long walk at 1400-1700 foor elevation this morning. The snow depth averaged about a foot. Won't take much to melt it.
Every spring must be interesting along the river. Unless alot of additional moisture shows up before the melt, or lots of rain forces the melt, the current conditions aren't too bad.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just worrying that everything melts at once....long range forecast is for well below avg temps all the way to march 8th...

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
The snow in Sullivan is powder but a warm heavy rain and a quick melt would cause run off too quickly. Then you have to worry about ice damming on the river when it breaks up.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dog...that is my main concern...a nice prologed thaw will get rid of the ice first..the ground is frozen solid any water will just run right off into streams...busted my butt 3 yrs ago rebuilding...i don't want to do it again.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well...thaw starts this week...here's hoping a ton of rain doesn't come with it...and it is gradual...38 ft at meshoppen and I get water.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I drove up along the west branch and I think as long as we continue this slow warm up everyone should be fine. Rain is in the forecast but as long as that stays minimal for awhile once again I don't think you would see anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
irishxc said:
well...thaw starts this week...here's hoping a ton of rain doesn't come with it...and it is gradual...38 ft at meshoppen and I get water.
We take 6 then 267 and cross the Meshoppen creek on the way to camp. After the last hurricane,the fact that the water was over the bridge and up to the windows of the buildings next to the bridge is crazy hi from the stream bed. 30-foot or more? Iv' seen the damage on the Delaware and Schuylkill when they flood but nothing like the Susky. The whole ride up and back from camp along the river was an eye opener
I wish all of you the best of luck

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JAEGER....where is your camp....my cabin is in Laceyville but the hunting property is in Lawton...im on 267 all the time..

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
The river at Bloomsburg is open in the center and its melting slowly. I hope it stays slow.

I have about 2 foot on the roof. It has slid down on the gutters. I'm afraid it will take the gutters if it goes too quickly.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Our camp is in Warren Center just outside SGL 219
irishxc said:
JAEGER....where is your camp....my cabin is in Laceyville but the hunting property is in Lawton...im on 267 all the time..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jaeger....does the "Drive em home gang" still push thru that gamelands at first lite on opening morning?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
irishxc said:
Jaeger....does the "Drive em home gang" still push thru that gamelands at first lite on opening morning?
We are new to the area,5 years now. Don't know the camp you refer to.I know there are posters on the ridge above our camp that post all day cause I see them from our stands. I'm told they are employees of the preserve on the top of the ridge trying to keep "their" deer in the preserve. I know several camps on our road do drives right thru our property. Boy were they surprised when we got out of our stands to confront them. Claimed our neighbor gave them permission to drive his and our property. Neighbor has found guys in his tree stands as he lives there. We have lots of pics on hidden cams of these guys. No respect. Sorry for the rant , its a touchy subject.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About 15 years ago a very good friend of mine who has a cabin along the Schraeder told me that his camp would always spend the first morning on 219 at Warren Center. Right at first lite a group of hunters would come and set up post and at about 9 a huge drive of neighboring farmers would push all the deer out of the gameland...they became known as the "Drive em Home Gang." They weren't very popular with hunters who did not have access to the neighboring farms.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I can see why they were not too popular. 219 is almost 6000 acres and is pretty much surrounded by farms. Will have to ask neighbor about them. Will be at camp early April. Hope your cabin is dry.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jaeger...thanks....river is at 12 ft in Meshoppen as we speak...jumping up 10 feet by sunday the 15th. That's not bad...right now I am getting the nice, gradual thaw that I wanted....

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Wednesday was the biggest melt day and that only impacted the smallest of streams.
The snow from my hill has a long ways to get downstream. I'm guessing I've lost almost 50% of my snowpack. Will be able to estimate better once I can get into the woods.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3/4 Inch of rain tomorrow will help a lot...anyone know if the ice pack on the Susky at Tunkhannock has broken up?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Irish
if you watch WNEP online you can see the Ice dam in Tunk.
looks like slow melt and a good rain helped you out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts