The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are no cabins available in state parks that allow dogs over the Christmas holidays, so we're scrambling (this is the first year we've had a dog along). We usually head out the day after Christmas for a few days. Does anyone have any leads on private cabins - can be pretty rustic - or websites with listings of them?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
a general area you are willing to go to would help. you could try cook forest area. couple private cabin rentals up there but its quite the drive

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is far - we're in Philly. I have been saying 6 hours is my limit so that's about at the limit. We'd rather find something more south - Tuscarora or around York. We're most familiar with the area up north around Hickory Run and the Delaware Water Gap and we were trying to avoid that area this time. I pruposefully didn't say because it's been hard to find anywhere to go.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
someone on pennswoods, or maybe it was Craigslist has a cabin for rent...

edit: i searched but could not find it.
it had pictures of the main room, believe it said pets ok.
i don't recall the area... sorry.

·
Registered
968 Posts
saw an ad on lancaster craigslist last week for a cabin along the susquehanna for rent also one up around mount gretna.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
archerymaniac72 said:
saw an ad on lancaster craigslist last week for a cabin along the susquehanna for rent also one up around mount gretna.
Thanks for this suggestion. It never occurred to me to check Craigslist!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Did you find a cabin yet?

If not, you could also try vrbo.com

·
Registered
982 Posts
archerymaniac72 said:
Mount gretna is a very nice area. Right in the mountains. Check PennRealtyltd.com. The only problem with so many of the houses is they shut them down for the winter since some of them aren't insulated. Summer time they go between $500 - 1000 for a week.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooooo, I never did find a cabin to rent over Christmas break. It's a shame because my husband works at a university and it closes down every year for that week (free vacation!). I will keep looking but we might have to give up on the idea of bringing the dog with us - already so many places close for the holidays, it narrows it to nothing to look for something pet-friendly, or it just gets too expensive or far.

What we did end up doing this past weekend is going for a weekend at Killens Pond State Park in Delaware. A few state parks in DE keep their cabins winterized with running water and heat over the winter. The cabins are really nice and you have to walk in from the parking lots which is invonvenient for unloading stuff but perfect for hanging out and feeling removed from things (and nicer for the kids). I thought the park was really pretty, too - lots of waterfowl since it sits on a pond. http://www.destateparks.com/camping/cabins/index.asp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts