The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who does everyone use for home insurance? I use Nationwide for my main home, but they won’t cover a cabin that isn’t heated at all times and/or doesn’t have a fire hydrant within 500ft. Any recommended companies/brokers?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have Millville Mutual on my one cabin. $91/qtr on a 50K policy. I have Foremost on the other one and are about worthless. Had a claim from a lightning strike and they wouldn't cover anything.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Senond on Millvale Mutual out of St Mary's, Pa for camp in Medix Run. No problem insuring with seasonal structure building.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have Millville Mutual on my one cabin. $91/qtr on a 50K policy. I have Foremost on the other one and are about worthless. Had a claim from a lightning strike and they wouldn't cover anything.
Probably because the dollar amount of your damage was less than your deductible.

·
Registered
20,911 Posts
Where's the cabin at?Camps as a general rule are a poor risk so most companies have really tightened up on the underwriting.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
We have millville mutual, the policy is writen through logan branch insurance in bellefonte. Its 260 a year for around 30k coverage and like 15k in contents

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Erie for homeowners, truck and cabin. The cabin runs less than $300 per year.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Check out Millville Mutal insurance. They protect a lot of season homes and the pricing is extremely reasonable.
I have Millville Mutual as well. No problems with not having central heating system. I checked with Erie (since my home and auto was with them), and they wouldn't cover it because my primary source of heat was not controlled with a thermostat, and it is a pellet stove.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
We had a hunting meeting last night and I ask the treasurer about our camp insurance. He reported that Bedford Grange Mutual charges us $953 a year for $153,900 in coverage.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Since all of my home/truck/cabin insurance renews in October, dug out all the Erie paperwork that came a few weeks ago. It's $257 per year on the cabin and hasn't really gone up much over the past 15 years since the cabin has been in my name.

$100K liability coverage and the property is posted. Total of about $55K on structure, contents, etc. and structure loss replacement coverage. That's about right for coverage, since the place is only around 800 square feet of living space and attached shed.

Everything in there is older furniture and appliances that have been hauled up there over the past 40 years. Or donated stuff, like the little microwave and two spares. The original microwave croaked in deer season years ago, ain't taking any chances.

:wink2:

When I added the cabin, Erie rep asked about a wood stove, distance to the closest VFD, etc. When I noted the wood stove has a SS insulated chimney and approved protective material on wall/floor, she asked if I had any installed heating source? Yep, electric baseboard. So she wrote that up as the primary heating source, with supplemental wood stove.

Had a haggle over the VFD being over five miles (it's seven miles), but I told her it's a rural area with little traffic and the several times I know of that they've responded to the area where camp is, they were there in 10 minutes. We have several VFDs where I live and it takes them twice that long to cover seven miles, with heavier traffic and multiple traffic lights to negotiate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We use Grangers Insurance. It is only Fire Insurance, but you can choose the amounts on the contents and the outside. They were great when we had an arson fire in 2005. We had a check within 2 weeks. We had a check within 2 weeks. They will not cover anything else though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts