The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been quite a few threads on this topic, but I wasn't able to get a good answer out of those threads so I'm starting another one.

I'm curious to what everyone's opinions are flooring options for a cabin that will maintain a temp of 50 in the winter and no temperature control in the summer. I talked to one flooring company and they stated to go with a floating floor as the best option, but they didn't indicate whether it should be laminate or vinyl. What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Add me to the laminate side.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I plan on using a floating floor system. Not sure if it will be laminate or vinyl. I plan on using something that is waterproof since it will be used in the bathroom and also our cabin (1 room). That way if it gets wet from wet boots/clothes/etc. then it won't hurt it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
A friend of mine has that new vinyl flooring that is waterproof and i am impressed with it. it looks like wood.

Having a laminate floor in my primary house and if I had to replace the floor, I would definitely go with the vinyl.

2 years ago when my addition was finished at my mountain property I had hardwood floors installed. If I had to do it again, I would get that new vinyl product

·
Registered
669 Posts
We did the pergo max (pad was attached) laminate and are really happy with it. So happy, I think we're going to put it in our bedroom at camp. Skipped the expensive "barrier" they say to put down and rolled out regular felt paper. Worked like a charm. 3 guys recommended to save on the back and knees! 1 guy laying, 1 guy running, and 1 guy sawing.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
LCLrutnut you may want to check on your crew. Even if true, I am not sure that it is PC to say that. LOL.

I think if the pad is attached then you don't have to put the barrier. I didn't on my living room floor and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
when my parents built our cabin they laid carpet in the down stairs bedroom and living room and lanollium in the kitchen and bathroom

·
Super Moderator
6,065 Posts
I have locally cut 3/4 “ tongue and groove hickory on the first floor at camp. Hickory is A nice mix of light and dark color.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would definitely go with the vinyl plank. It's water proof and the seams won't peak if it gets wet. Also, never put laminate in a bathroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The cabin we just purchased has tile flooring in the kitchen and bathroom and low pile carpet in the bedrooms and living room. Draw back to tile is it takes a long time to heat up when its cold. Slippers are a must until the wood stove gets the room up to heat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lots of water in the bathroom. If your shower curtain or shower door leaks, or toilet tank sweat's, it will ruin a laminate floor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like we should go with the luxury vinyl plank for the flooring. Hopefully it will hold up to the temperature swings and the normal use of the cabin. The cabin is still shifting, since it was built on piers and is less than a year old.

Another question, are Engineered Vinyl Planks and Luxury Vinyl Planks the same thing? I tried googling it and it really didn't tell me anything

·
Registered
669 Posts
LCLrutnut you may want to check on your crew. Even if true, I am not sure that it is PC to say that. LOL.

I think if the pad is attached then you don't have to put the barrier. I didn't on my living room floor and it was fine.
HOLY MOLY.....now THAT was a typo....since corrected. Guess I really need to proofread before posting! Sorry folks, didn't mean to offend anyone!

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Lumber liquidators runs some pretty good sales on flooring.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Yes. Just be sure to leave a 1/4 inch space against all walls for expansion.
If I remember correctly they have an installation kit that has the tools for installing the laminate. It includes plastic spacers that you can put around to make sure you maintain the gap while installing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts