The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been some discussion here regarding businesses not allowing people to cary a sidearm either open carry or concealed in their premisis. I went to Cabelas today and there is a sign on the center entrance door stating their policy, which is they will honor the laws of the state and so long as the sidearm is not removed from the holster or handled you may carry in the store, however if a firearm is being returned for exchange or repair the firearm must be checked in at the front desk to be carried by an employee or to have a trigger lock installed before the owner may carry it through the store. I believe this is a change in their policy.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
About six months ago I purchased a rifle at Hamburg and a sales lady carried it right to the door for me.I couldn't touch it until I was outside.

About the same time I sold a handgun to a HPA member and we met there to transfer the gun...Same thing...Check it in at the front...They carry it at all times while you are in the store.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Ken I knew that as I have purchased a gun at Cabelas. At that time I was in the store for a meeting as I was still working and had a handgun in my briefcase and they told me they do not allow anyone to carry a firearm in the store. That is why I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the sign today.

·
Registered
25,635 Posts
Most chain stores like Cabela's, Dick's, Dunham's etc, all have a policy on purchased firearms being carried to the register by an employee and not being "turned over" until you're out the door. So does Walmart.

I've never been through that at any "gun shop". Many of my rifles and handguns were purchased at the shop near camp (Ackley's). You find what you want out on the floor, lug it to the counter, do the paper work, pay and away ya go with it.

None of the bolt guns have the bolts installed, but everything else is ready to go, right from the floor displays. All handguns are in under-counter cases, but I've been handed one, decided I wanted it and toted it over to the register for the rest of the transaction.

It's why I tend to buy there and not at a chain store.

Glad to hear Cabela's has had a change of heart on concealed carry.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
DennyF said:
I've never been through that at any "gun shop". Many of my rifles and handguns were purchased at the shop near camp (Ackley's). You find what you want out on the floor, lug it to the counter, do the paper work, pay and away ya go with it.
About 99.9% of the people who shop at Ackley's have no problem with guns. About 40% of the people who shop at Wal-Mart do.

I have no problem with a box store doing what they feel they need to do for customer safety, etc.

It doesnt bother me if a clerk carries a gun through the store. Really...what's the beef here?

As for Cabela's, it was already my favorite store in the world, now it's just better! Might "carry" while there next time just to appreciate them more!!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
In 03 when Cabelas opend the WV, I purchased an inline. At that time they didnt carry it to the door for me, but maybe its different for smoke poles and inlines?

Either way, cool that they honor the state law for carry

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Q2XL12 said:
but maybe its different for smoke poles and inlines?
Yeh, with the exception of an Encore, you can by a smoke pole through the mail....nobody cares!!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I am sure that Cabela's is not trying to side with the anti's and any group trying to rid us of our right to bear arms. It is an insurance thing and their carrier sets the guidelines for "liability" plan and simple.
As long as someone doesn't do anything stupid the policy will remain as it is with your ability to carry. As soon as something happens I am sure the policy will change to protect the liability of the store and its employess.

·
Super Moderator
4,746 Posts
He was stating what the store sign said.He was there to spend money.He thought people would like to know Cabela's understands the right to carry laws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts