The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Re: Cabelas Bo longer coming to Erie!

Come to Grove City...you got I-80 and I-79 and really close to Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Erie..

·
Registered
28,459 Posts

Maybe they heard my comment about the traffic around that location???? Come to Warren county Cabelas...your east coast Nebraska..

Actually cmc hit the nail...

·
Registered
946 Posts

Grove City would be a great location. I think the rationale behind Erie is simply the proximity to the lake. Grove City works for the outlets, why not Cabelas?

V

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

For some reason I feel like I just saved a bunch of money...

·
Registered
470 Posts

It has nothing to do with traffic or interstates, check out Erie county on Wikipedia, County govt - 5 dems, 2 repubs :population- 102,000 dems, 63,000 repubs : mayor of erie- democrat. counsel 3 dems-2 repubs when cabellas pulled out of the sportsman show, they kinda hurt their chances for this location I think, no key to the city for them, sad but true, it would have been the perfect environment for all involved, with the lake being there and all 3 states to draw from.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts

Read the article, it never even got to the government side of things. It fell through in the land deal stage.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

The Harrisburg show had absolutely nothing to do with this deal falling apart. Read the article...

·
Registered
776 Posts

Back in 1999 when I bought my house I also bought a computer.One of the first things was contacting Cabelas about having a store in PA and the I-79 I-80 location is where I told them to put one.All I got back is that they had no intentions of building other stores that their main sales was through catalogs and internet.

Well since then they've popped up stores all over the map...think I should be getting any royalties?

·
Banned
994 Posts

Although I enjoy going to Cabelas, I am a "NIMBY" when it comes to building one in Grove City. When I moved here in 1985, Grove City was a quiet small town. The landscape changed somewhat when the outlet mall moved in. Cabelas would be a big step in the wrong direction for what I still consider a rural community.

Besides, driving down to Wheeling a couple times a year is always a treat for my family. Having a Cabelas here would spoil the whole experience.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

JerrySS said:
Although I enjoy going to Cabelas, I am a "NIMBY" when it comes to building one in Grove City. When I moved here in 1985, Grove City was a quiet small town. The landscape changed somewhat when the outlet mall moved in. Cabelas would be a big step in the wrong direction for what I still consider a rural community.

Besides, driving down to Wheeling a couple times a year is always a treat for my family. Having a Cabelas here would spoil the whole experience.
Yes, in 1985 GC was a quiet little town. It is no longer. How would a small Cabela's Outpost store change anything now? If there's a vacant parcel that would be suitable, and they don't buy it, what's to stop someone else from buying it?

Besides, you can still head down to Wheeling -- it's a much bigger store so having an Outpost nearby wouldn't mean you no longer need to go to Wheeling.

If I don't understand, what am I missing?

Steve.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
You guys have to forgive Jerry, he's not much for progress.

Currrently, I don't think Springfield Twp (out by the Outlet Mall) could support another new business. I think they are having water, and sewage issues. I think Cabelas looked at a site around Mercer at one point (@8 yeaars ago), but it never materialized.

Personally, I still think a deal will get done in Erie County. This is all part of the negotiation process.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I'm down with a Cabela's in Grove City. They can put it right in "Old Towne Grove City" as far as I'm concerned. I'll get a part time job there just to get an employee discount.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts