The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out for about an hour in the rain this evening on penns until my fingers couldn't function anymore. There were a bunch of tiny little olive bodied mayflies floating down through and the rain made it hard for them to fly off. Some trout were actively feeding on them. They looked like blue winged olives to me, but I didn't think they started hatching until later in the year? I only had size 16 BWO with me and I think it was too big as I couldn't get anything to strike. Was just wondering if maybe I misidentified the hatch.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nah, BWOs hatch this early. In fact, they come off earlier than most other mayflies according to most fly charts. I never fish them but they seem to be in the water in one form or another pretty much all the time. So I don't think it was mis-identification.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Penns has two separate olive hatches. Smaller ones now and larger ones starting in June. Given the conditions today, they were more than likely olives.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for confirming I thought I would get in on the action but size 16 was too big I think these looked like #20s.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like little BWO's in the #20's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts