The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at camp this week, and Tuesday night, I was gonna have a jar of venison for dinner ( actually for two nights ). I popped the jar in the microwave for three minutes ( heat dissolves tallow and gelatin ), makes it easy to get out of the jar. Dumped everything into a bowl, got meat separated, and fried some up.

Yesterday morning, I took the bowl of tallow and juice to the edge of the woods and dumped it. I walked back to the front porch, and went back to reading the Pa Game News. Five minutes later, I heard the neighbors chickens going berserk…..looked out to see what was happening. There were five buzzards circling the edge of my yard, where I dumped the bowl. ( the chickens mistook them for hawks ). Where they came from, I don’t know. I am always amazed how buzzards can home in on food.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I was at camp this week, and Tuesday night, I was gonna have a jar of venison for dinner ( actually for two nights ). I popped the jar in the microwave for three minutes ( heat dissolves tallow and gelatin ), makes it easy to get out of the jar. Dumped everything into a bowl, got meat separated, and fried some up.

Yesterday morning, I took the bowl of tallow and juice to the edge of the woods and dumped it. I walked back to the front porch, and went back to reading the Pa Game News. Five minutes later, I heard the neighbors chickens going berserk…..looked out to see what was happening. There were five buzzards circling the edge of my yard, where I dumped the bowl. ( the chickens mistook them for hawks ). Where they came from, I don’t know. I am always amazed how buzzards can home in on food.
You sure it was the tallow? How’d your last dr’s visit go? Just sayin:confused1:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I believe their sense of smell is pretty amazing.
Years back I also wondered about their smell capabilities. Shot two jacks on our property took them up to the edge of the property line and covered them with some branches, twigs, and leaves. In about three days we had Turkey Vultures on the ground getting a free meal.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Back in the 80’s we were camping at French Creek Park. Took a ride early one morning to visit Hopewell Village and the driveway in had a split rail fence for a long stretch. There must have been over 50 vultures sittin on the top rail , all with wings spread and facing the morning sun. They weren’t phased as we drove past not 20’ away.

About 10 years ago we were hunting pheasants at Nockamixon and left the fields off 563 mid morning. As we drove north close to Durnham road there was a few dozen vultures sitting on a fence with wings spread , warming up in the morning sun.
Both times that gave me the chills, spooky

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone told me they spread their wing to catch and collect scent in the air. Don’t know if it’s true. They have definite strategic places they hang out to catch thermals and prevailing winds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts