The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
Snelling my own hooks, making up my own rigs and painting and tying buck tails and pouring sinkers is not only therapeutic but saves me a bunch of money in the tackle shop.

It also makes it more gratifying to catch fish knowing you made the tackle yourself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to start tying my own. Probably give it a try if I get the material.

Birch, have any extra weights you could donate? I can get whatever you need to melt.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I tie my own rigs for fluke. I like strong, sharp, quality hooks! I also read an article somewhere in which they went through a case of pre-tied rigs and documented all the improperly tied knots. Some knots had only 3 turns where there should have been 7 or 8.

If you know a reliable tackle shop that ties good rigs that would certainly be acceptable, but I won't go with factory rigs, particularly rigs from over seas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
when I get the time im going to get some do-it molds and tie up some of my own bucktails and teaser flies. Id love to see some of your guys work and how you did it.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
Sefcik said:
Har-lee on eBay sells good rigs.
They are a good outfit to buy things from on line. I never brought any rigs or hooks but I did purchase some one piece heavy action boat rods that were compatible to PENN rods I have and they are holding up just as good at 1/3 of the price.

I never poured my own lead heads, I purchase them from a tackle shop in Philly, but I paint them and add the hair and wrap them myself. For flounder hooks I use a 3/0 wide gold hook( locally referred to as a French flounder hook) and 48” straight 50 lb. test leader material. I use 8 twists for snelling all my hooks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought fish finder and 3 way swivel rigs. I wasn't necessarily impressed with the hooks on the swivel rigs but overall was very happy. Considering I got a total of 12 rigs for 10 bucks, can't really complain.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Ive found that making my own is worthwhile....most store bought ones use cheap components...questionable knots etc...

I can tie my own and know I have a good hook, good swivel, good line, and good knots...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts