The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever bought a gun(s) just because of the price? I do it from time to time and I'm about to do it again. I REALLY don't need them(2) but I hate to pass up a deal.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
brother, you suffer from the same affliction as I do!! In 2010 I bought 18 guns, 12 of them because the price was just unbeatable. The look on my wife's face when I would tell her "it is too good to pass up" was priceless. Toward Dec. she made me promise 2011 wouldn't be anywhere near the same

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
All the time. I have a shotgun named 60 bucks. Its a name brand 20 gauge pump in perfect shape. A guy stuck his head in my office one day and asked me if I wanted to buy it. It retails for $350, but did not turn me on at all so I said no. As he turned away he said boy, I sure need 60 bucks to pay some bills. SOLD ! I use it from time to time just because !

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
About half the guns I bought over the years were because "the price was right" Looking for a gun, and something close to what I was looking for was on sale. I can't say they were bad choices. Most of them I sold for the same or more used than what I bought them new for.

It's sort of like buying a car. You know what you want, but something makes you buy something else. I swear every time I'm looking I won't do that again............

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yep. I got a Rossi Mod. 65 in 45 Colt, a Ruger Blackhawk in 357, and a Ruger Security Six simply because they were all at a price I couldn't refuse. Now I don't know what to do with them...

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I do it at least once a week!
My therapist says it will pass eventually.
Till then - I'll keep buying (and selling) till I find the ones I want to keep

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Duster,Rule no.1,You can never own enough guns.Rule 2,don't be in Denial.Admit it,your addicted like the most of us.Buying bargains is great if you can get them but some of the time i buy expensive.Why,well i don't need it,I deserve it,and the ole German saying,JUST FOR NICE. Enjoy all. :2gunsfiring:

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Have you ever bought a gun(s) just because of the price? I do it from time to time and I'm about to do it again. I REALLY don't need them(2) but I hate to pass up a deal.
I refuse to answer, based on my Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate myself.

Other than that, ummm, maybe? Probably would have about a dozen or so fewer firearms, if some used ones had not been too good to pass up over the past 30 years.

Some refer to that as a mild addiction.

No joke. I generally head right for the used gun racks at my favorite shop near camp. I've already spied something that I think should come home with me, but fight it for a few days. If the critter is still there several days later, it often gets a new home.

One time it was a minty Mini 14 SS wood at a good price. Days later I stopped in and it was gone, or so I though? One guy said there were some good buys there and I told him I was almost relieved the Mini 14 had been sold.

He laughed, said it's over on the other side now, down near the end. It came home with me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I buy a lot of guns during the year that are too good of a deal to pass up and sell the ones that I know I'll never use at a small profit to help finance my elk trips. My wife nearly fainted when I bought an engraved 1885 Winchester for $2,000 6 months before my last trip but I flipped it for a $750 profit in 3 days. Of course I only tell her about the ones that make me look good.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's how my dad and I got most of the guns in our collection!!!
Sako Finnwolf for under 50 bucks!!!

Some people are always in need of a small stack of 1$ bills....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Funny this was posted...had a guy here at work ask me about a ruger mini..said he needed money..blue.wood..some wear..wasnt shot much.series 187 he thinks..i just remember reading about a certain series that had some issues..so i didnt pull the trigger yet..but yea i think e all have at one time or another bought because the price was right..

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Some parts are basicially "unobtanium" for some of the older Mini 14s, but off the top of my noggin, don't recall what the years/series are?

A Google search would likely produce the desired results?

·
Registered
378 Posts
wow- and I thought it was just me!! I too look for deals and strike when I see em. I went to the gun shop Friday to pay off a model 700 in a stainless heavy barrel and came home with two- I could not pass on a sako model 75 in stainless for $499.
I bought a weatherby mark 5 for $400 unfired best deal to date.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Big Ken said:
I'll go for groceries and live on tuna, but see a gun that I want and I'll instantly shell out the money for it.
I feel like I could do that, but it's not as comfortable sleeping with a gun...especially in my truck. I've slept in there before, and I don't want to do it again.

I try not to look around too much when I really don't have the money. It either A: gets me in trouble. or B: makes me feel bad about myself not being able to pick up a "great deal".

When I'm running low on cash and go to a gunshop to pick up say primers I have to say to myself going in. Focus! Focus! Don't stray!

It's hard to do at times. Especially when you do have a few extra bucks that shouldn't really be spent on a gun.

My biggest problem is when I do go looking I always seem to end up buying something I really didn't want because it was a great deal. I'll normally keep it for a couple years then sell it to buy something else. There was a couple magnums I've had that got sold over the years. Done that twice for the same reasons. Looking for a rifle, and found something close to what I was looking for, but in a magnum. Both got sold.

If you can hunt moose and elk with a 30-06 why do I need a winmag to hunt deer?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts