The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a chance buy a rifle from an HPA member across the state. I believe a long gun can be sold and shipped to another resident without having to go through an FFL(from memory). Can you guys that know confirm and maybe even cite the law or link up the information. I don't even know where to find it.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
846 Posts
PA resident to PA resident can go non-FFL if it is a long gun. All pistols have to go to an FFL. Any cross of state line means shipping to an FFL.

If selling and not requiring a FFL, it is always wise to get confirmation such as a copy of LCTF or other verification that the recipient is legal to possess such a weapon. You want to make sure you're not selling to a jailbird who will use it for ill will.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may be buying, not selling. I'll include a copy of my LTCF & drivers license for the sellers peace of mind. Might not even work out, but I want to be ready and knowledgeable if it does.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
perfectly legal. just ship within the state and dont portray the package as a gun.

ATF FAQ:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sold two rifles to a guy in Pittsburg the other day. FEDEX came and picked them up at my house. He did not ask for FFL or anything at all. Very easy.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Stetam said:
I use USPS all the time for long guns.
I wish I could....I went to my local post office today to ship a shotgun to a Pa. resident and they refused me, saying that a dealer must be involved...I told the clerk she was wrong, and to call a larger post office about it, which she did...Same answer....So I told her to call another post office....Same answer....Is this really true or are these post office clerks idiots?...I ended up driving 20 miles to a private shipping outlet and mailed it Fedex, and even she was hesitant at first,,,asking ME what the law was !

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is it legal?? yes. Unless there are municipal bylaws. Is it smart?? I think not.

You are opening yourself up to a whole can of liability. What that liability could cost you is not worth the difference. Regardless of how much an FFL charges you to do an exchange, and how much you are saving on the firearm.

If you have nothing to loose in a liability suit then go for it. But why open yourself up to that liability?? I will not. Tom.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had the same problem with my local post office, so I printed off the shipping regulations from the USPS website and showed it to them. No more problems!

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Yeh, they ended up calling me back later at home and asking me to bring the gun back..I guess someone with a little bit of knowledge got back to them and set them straight...Funny how higher-ups at two large post offices do not know their own policies & rules.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
JasonN said:
I may be buying, not selling. I'll include a copy of my LTCF & drivers license for the sellers peace of mind. Might not even work out, but I want to be ready and knowledgeable if it does.
Always good to give "piece of mind"

It is legal to ship long guns, in state, person to person
If you ship out of state it needs to be sent to a FFL holder

And any post office should take the shipment, if they don't ask to talk to the postmaster.
Ammo can NOT be shipped through the post office by private individuals

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys drug up this old thread! I've since not had to us the USPS at all. Bought a 30-30 from a buddy for a 300WSM and a wad of cash, sent 30-30 to Oregon to be turned into a 444 and worked up heavy lead loads for it, topped it with a peep and am ready to go bear hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts