The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys.Hope you can help.My hunting camp is looking to purchase a new tractor.We want it for planting food plots.Our plots would vary in size from about a 1/2 acre to about 4 or 5 acres.What I would like to know is what size tractor we would need,and what attachments, we would need.Also a recommedation on what brand.There are 3 dealers in the area,John Deere,Kabuta,& I believe New Holland.I would appreciate any reccomendations.Thanks.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I would scratch John Deere right off the list, way too overpriced. as for horsepower, you shouldn't need anything over 50. we have a kubota backhoe and it works great, its nice as fast hydraulically as a full size, but that due to the smaller hydro pump. I haven't ran a New Holland any smaller than a TM100, which is more than you will need, but that was a really nice tractor. New Hollands are great, especially since the merge with Case IH. I'm not gonna say JD is junk, because they aren't, but I can't see paying that much just because its green. I have ran all brands of equipment from case,cat,jd,kubota,NH, and jcb. if I had to pick, it would be between the NH/case and Kubota. any of these companys make a tractor suited to your needs. I know guys that do all their plot work with a Polaris ranger. your gonna want a front bucket for clearing, a plotmaster type attachment for the working of the ground, and maybe a small mower to maintain the ground around the area.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Every Kubota I have ever used has been junk...I can't remember the model numbers but even brush hogging choked these things for power...JD is great but again I also think you are paying more for the name than the actual tractor...I've heard great things about New Holland but have never used one myself...We use and old Satoh Bison for all of our work and it seems to do just fine...Any reason you guys are looking new?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Anyone consider an older Yanmar? I have a small 16.5 HP but run a tiller, mower, snow plow, finish mower. etc and am always impressed with it. I'd love to have a larger one.

Mike have you checked out the Koyote? If so what was your inpression of them. I have heard good and bad about Kubota

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
yanmar makes the engines for the midsize JD. just go buy a red tractor and be done with it. lol

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
We have a New Holland TC49D at our place in Potter Co. It works real nice for everything we need.
It is 4wd and has a front end loader also.
We use it to pull the following: a 2 bottom plow, an 7' disk and cultipacker and 7' bush hog mower.
All of the ones you have mentioned are nice tractors, John Deere is probably the best but for a food plot machine and cabin tractor they just cost to much. Kubota and New Holland are probably the same in quality, in my opinion. We bought a New Holland because we got it alot cheaper then anything else. My dad retired from New Holland and got employee pricing for it!
Messicks Farm Equipment in Elizabethtown, Pa. is having there open house in a couple of weeks and are having sales on all equipment, they have some real good deals at this open house

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,for the advice.We are looking for new for 2 reasons.
1- We have the money.
2-All of our experience with used power equipment,have been horror stories.In our experience,if we buy new and maintain it we have very few problems.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have not checked out Koyote,asked about the others because there are dealerships within reasonable distance,of our camp.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I think any modern diesel tractor including the asian off brands will work fine. ALL the big name utility tractors are asian made. Regardless of the name tag they are made by mitsubishi, iseki, yanmar, etc. I think for a size requirement I think a lot has to do with conditions, hilly, rocky, currently wooded, flat, old pasture, swampy, tilled in the past. Is power or maneuverability more important.

I had a 27Hp Yanmar and maintained 80 hilly, swampy, rocky, acres with it, hogging about 40acres of huge multiflora with a 5' light-medium duty cutter. It was pretty hard on the machine and implements. For 4-5 acres needing rock and stump removal I think that would be a minimum size. For just plowing and discing I think it would be on the small spectrum but very well within its range.

Currently I have a Kubota L4400 46hp and it would easily handle anything on 4-5 acres. Now I run a 1200 pound 6' hog on the back with ease. The advantage of the smaller Yanmar is agility. It is like a goat in rough terrain, safe on steep slopes and can't be stopped going anywhere. A definite advantage for things like small plots in wooded areas. Bigger tractors can be hazardous on slopes and destructive to the habitat.

Once a size is decided, then to me it is personal feel. It's not like a car, they all seem to place the controls in different places. I have a preference for some over the other. I prefer a standard clutched gear shift over hydrostatic or one of the hydro shift options. But the fancier shift models are much nicer for back and forth operations like snow plowing, grading, and loader work. I would strongly recommend a loader with the universal quick attach skid steer mount. That way in seconds you can change out implements on the front. I am regularly swapping out bucket types (standard and 4n1) or with the forks. I can also for example put the grader box on the back and the stone rake on the front, endless possibilities. Another required option is remote hydraulics, you'll need this for any implement requiring hydraulics, like power angling, log splitters, down pressure, backhoe, 4n1 buckets, etc.

For size comparison here is the 27hp yanmar and 46hp Kubota.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Mike M. said:
Thanks,for the advice.We are looking for new for 2 reasons.
1- We have the money.
2-All of our experience with used power equipment,have been horror stories.In our experience,if we buy new and maintain it we have very few problems.
Tractorbynet.com had alot of good info on all brands of Cut & SCUT tractors, brand forums and more...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Kubota all the way. Def not JD for the reasons mentioned. I owned a 5400 JD so I am speaking from experience. I currently own a Kubota which I have owned from new and it now has 2500 food plot hours on it and all I have done is change fluids, filters, and tires on it..NH is a good machine too. I don't own one but I do have about 300 hrs of seat time on a Boomer TC 45 4x4 with Super Steer. Rides nice, good power, balanced good, but definitley not built heavy duty like a Kubota or JD. JD and NH have a better filtering system for the radiator to keep seeds and debris out than the Kubotas do. This is not a big deal unless you do a lot of bushhogging heavy in tall grass. Regardless of what make you get do not get one with a full Hydrostatic transmisssion, get Shuttle shift (Kubota) Sync Reverser or PowerReverser (JD) (I think it's called) are the way to go. Do get heavy ply R-1 ag tires not R-4 tires or any others, and buy extra fuel and air filters . Food plotting is awful hard on machines and those 2 filters are usually the first to clog in those conditions which really can suck the HP from any make tractor. I would also stay right around 45-50 Hp. ANy bigger you get into a CAT 2 hitch which tends to be more expensive to find equipment to fit. Also make sure it has at least 1 set of hydraulics on the rear to raise lower a mower, no'till drill, roller harrow etc... And a front end loader would not be an option....it's a must have. Get a bucket with a replaceable cutting edge and stay with a standard capacity size for what ever machine you are looking at. Hi cap buckets tend to roll tractors or bend loader frames when used for anything other than poop or grain moving duties.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tudragrizz,Featherduster,Thank you.Just to let you know.the area we are going to plant are fields.right now they are full of goldenrod and/or fieldgrass,but they are open fields.The comparrison picture was very helpful.Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
There's a guy over at the QDMA forums who puts in food plots for a living. After a number of years using a tractor, discs, etc., he sold everything but his Kubota UTV, sprayer and spreader. He was having so much like just spraying 2 times and spreading seed, there really wasn't any point to him owning and maintaining a tractor and all the implements.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have a 2001 kubota DL3000 that is 32 hp, 4 x 4 with a FEL. that I bought for $10,000 back in 2003 that also came with a brush hog. The tractor had 450 hours on it.

I had no knowlege of any type of tractor but I can say Kubota is the "Cadillac" of tractors frpm my research when I bought it.

With this tractor I maintain about 5 ac of foodplots plus trails.

Equipment needed for food plots that I have:
Brushhog, spreader, tiller, disc. backback & ATV sparayers & my pickup for spreading lime by shovel.

Good luck there is alot of informataion you can obtain from this site.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Never been anything other than an enlisted Marine or company employee, no degree, no inheritance, lived most of my life VERY conservatively. Now I'm old enough to have time and money to put it into my passions rather than my needs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We purchased a 60 hp New Holland one year ago for our camp. Don't skimp on horsepower, the price difference between 55 and 60 was negligible so we went with 60. We also purchased a loader and 6 foot bush hog. With the implements we kept we are in good shape to prepare and maintain food plots and mow. We upgraded from an Allis Chalmer CA which was way to small for our needs in Sullivan County.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I maintain 15 acres of foodplots with a jd 790, which is a 30 hp 4wd manual shift, baseline tractor. I have a 2 bottom plow, heavy duty disk, 5 ft brushhog, FEL, cone spreader for fertilizer and lime, sprayer. Wish I had a cultipacker, tiller and bulk lime spreader.

That equipment list suits me just fine and has for the last decade.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts