The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally im buying a new camera, i left town for about 4 days and was able to put my camera out in a great spot (along the edge of a corn field the only corn standing for miles) i couldnt wait to get home and check it, tons of sign around where i hung it. I got home last night and went out this morning to find it took 6 pictures and the battery died. It takes 6 C batteries, that aint cheap every time. Its an older stealth cam and it has always worked great but it seems in any cold weather it just kills the batteries. So my question is, how are these new smaller cameras that take AA batteries? They say they last forever, but does that count 15 degree mornings? even if it lasted the same amount of time it would be a lot cheaper to put new batteries in. Let me know with some suggestions, ill be getting by cabelas next week and might just stop and buy one.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Look at Bushnells...I have them one cam has been out since September.. over 670 pictures on the same set of (8)AA's
it's still out there running.. If you buy a Bushnell use ONLY San Disk sd media card only.. some camera reject sd cards.. runs the batteries down.. that's been my experience .. good luck

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Kill it Grill it: Check out these links: http://www.chasingame.com and http://www.trailcampro.com and http://www.grfreak.com I have 7 each of the 2009 Bushnell Trophy Trail Camera. So far they have given excellent service. Bushnell offers a two year manufacture warranty and have provided me with excellent customer service with any requests for information etc. by email.
I have several Moultrie cameras: 3 each D55-IR, 4 each M100 and recent purchase of the D55-IRXT. These cameras have given excellent service. Moultrie offers a one year manufacture warranty and excellent customer service. Moultrie cameras, when set to video, take a picture first, then the video. Field of view in the video is narrower than in the picture. Moultrie said this is how it down loads. Night video is limited to 10 seconds. Moultrie said lengthening this would be harder on batteries.
For cards I am using SanDisk, Verbatim, lexar and Adapta. Some manufactures claim their cameras will accept up to 32MB SD cards,when in fact they will not. 4GB to 8GB is plenty large enough, even if the camera is set to video.
A couple of suggestions: 1)for cold weather areas purchase a camera that uses AA batteries. One is able to use Lithium Ultimate which are a high voltage battery testing 1.79 to 1.83 volt using a digital meter. 2)lots of buys on EBay but if going that route make sure the seller is authorized by the manufacture, or there is no warranty. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have 2 Stealth cams and they would eat batteries very few weeks.I bought 2 rechargable 12v batteries at Cabela`s(there not cheap) but they last 5-6 weeks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Save your money and get a Reconyx. The batteries last for like 50,000 pictures. Customer service is great and they have an easy process to get your cam repaired if needed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I just added 3 more Moultrie GameSpy D55-IRXT cameras to my collection today. I have had good service with all my other Moultrie cameras so far.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd go with a DLC Covert(the absolute best customer service) camera and use lithium batteries. The lithiums are more expensive to begin with...but last much longer and aren't affected by the cold. In the long run...they are cheaper!I'm getting a year out of a set in my Coverts. (Black 60 and mp6)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts