The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent abotu an hour cracking butternuts, i got about 1-2 cups worth, i'm thinking chocolate chip butternut cookies. i'm actually making room for this years "cash crop". this year our big tree 18"-24" produced bushels of huge butternuts, our small trees 6"-12" produced hundreds of nuts, but most of all them are about half the size of a regular nut. i've noticed this on black walnuts too. does any one know what makes a nut tree grow/ produce so well in a given year. such as in the weather?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had a lot of butternuts offered to me this fall. One tree produced one heck of a lot of nuts. I have planted about all of them and kept about 2 dozen to eat. What chance do I have of seeing any sprouting in the spring? I put them in potting soil in a large container and put them in an outside shed so the squirrel and chipmunks won't steal them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 YEARS AGO, I HAD A BUNCH I DRIED IN MY DRIVEWAY, I HAD 10 GALLONS. WHEN I PICKED THEM UP AFTER a few days of sun, i had jsut under 5 gallons. then next spring i had butternut seedlings popping up all through my yard and garden and pinetrees. ha i dug them up put tthem in my front yard and sold them for $10 a peice. we gather all ours off our farm trees in the fall and put them in a giant pile of fly ash, sand, and top soil mix. and a friend (retiree) plants them throughout the farm in the woods. i planted 2 on my property that i grew from nut. 3 years ago. one is 5.5' and the other is just shy of 5' i highly recommend putting tree tubes around them. i watered them frequently through sdry spells their first year. this year i have about 70 northern english walnuts to plant.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They are in the walnut and pecan family. They grow wild in some areas of the state.

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
They grow wild in my backyard. I usually get a big load of nuts on the ground. I usually take a pitching wedge out and chip em into the woods. I never actually tried eating them.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I know where there a few "wild" trees that produced good nuts when I was a kid but now they all are either dead or seem to die when they are about 8-10" in diameter. I assume they are stump spouts and are dieing from some kind of blight??

We ate lots of them back in the day.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
http://www.treetopics.com/juglans_cinerea/index.htm

They are like an elongated walnut, taste pretty much the same to me. If you really want to bring out the taste, after you shell them, put them in a dry skillet and pan roast them for a few minutes while keeping them moving around in the pan, it really brings out the flavor.

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
They are the last trees in my yard to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop in the fall.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I wish I would have posted the butternuts that I had offered to me. They were gathered up and put out to the curb for garbage. Probably 100 to 150 pounds

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
When we bought our place in 1969, we had probably 30-40 butternut trees in the area. Now, almost none. They have died due to the blight. Where I hunt in Potter, they are also dying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts