The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new scope for my .2506, which I use for Groundhog, coyote and deer. I am considering either a Bushnell elite 4-16 or a Leupold VX3 4.5-14. Does anyone have an opinion on either scope or a recommendation.

Thanks

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I know my uncle has nothing but good things to say about his experience with the VX-III 4.5-14X. He was bear hunting this year and right before dark saw a bear in a tree. He watched it through his Redfield 4-12X hoping for a shot until it was too dark to see.At that point the guy beside him handed him his Weatherby with the Leupold 4.5-14 and my uncle said it looked like it was still ten minutes earlier through that scope. He's determined to get one for next year.

·
Registered
715 Posts
4.5x14 VariXIII is my all time favorite hunting scope, Clarity is second to none, magnification range is excellent for close shooting in the woods and you can strech it out to 600 yards or farther on game when needed without any trouble.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Got a VX-3 4.5-14x40 Long Range on a Sako 270wsm and a Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 AO on a 257Wby. Been used in the alps, Mexican desert, Kodiak, South America, Pa of course, both are very good, they're Leupold. But can't decide if I prefer the LR or AO adjustments, each has their pros and cons.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have nothing but Leupolds on my rifles and highly recommend them also they are made in the USA. I have the VX 3 4.5-14 on my 300 RUM and dont think theres a better scope out there for my rifle

·
Registered
555 Posts
I haven't looked through one of the new Elites yet, but I'd be fairly comfortable saying that the VX3 is the better choice. It is also a bit pricier. Anything below the VX3 line and I would go with the Bushnell.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
You definitely get a better scope in my opinion with the Leupold. The Bushnell, especially the new elites are a very good quality scope too though. I think optically the Leupold beats the elite by the tiniest bit. As far as craftsmanship and customer service I would again give it to Leupold. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to put an elite on any of my rifles. Especially with the $50 mail in rebate they have going on right now. Feel free to ask me any further questions if you need any help. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Mac

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have used both and really can't see a difference. I pretty much went with the bushnell after that due to the price. Two of the ones I have are from when they were still bosch and lomb prior to being bought by bushnell. Never had any problem with them. Go to a gun shop and look through both of them and see which one you like better. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had all Leupold scopes on my guns. Then had a rainy, foggy opening day a few years back and had all kinds of trouble keeping my scope clear. A friend had a Bushnell Elite with the RainGuard coating - it works awesome. ALL the Leupold's came off ALL my guns & now they ALL have Bushnell Elite's. I also own the Elite bino & rangefinder. Needless to say, I've been converted for sure.
Elite's are awesome scopes, primarily because of the RainGuard. Their new 6500 series easily competes with the higher priced scopes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would put an elite on my rifle. Not that leupolds are a bad scope, but they are over rated and over priced. The elite is way more bang for the buck, and the raingaurd is the deal sealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts