The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used rifle with a Bushnell Banner Range master scope on it. The scope is a 3X9 and I would say by 50. A sticker on the top of the scope reads Range masters, with eliminates hold over under Range Master I did a couple searches and found nothing on this scope. I would guess this is a cheap scope.
Anyone know anything about these scopes.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I have a 4-12x40. It is an ok budget scope. The one I have is probably 30 years old and made in Japland. I had it on a 7mm Remington mag. It never really seen any hard use, but it held up fine to the occasional range session and deer hunt. It was good enough for a rifle that seen limited use, not saying it wouldn't hold up to more.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sounds like it's one from the late 70's early 80's. Probably made in japan and not a bad scope, but optics have come along way since 1980. If ya like it... use it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What has me puzzled is the elevation adjustment on the scope. The scope has a small window in the side of the elevation knob. In this window it reads 100 yards to 500. The scope is mounted on a savage 7MM Remington Mag, with see through mounts, Not a factory install.

I have not shot the Rifle as of yet, however I can not see how if set at 100 yards the scope would be zeroed at 100 yards with different loads and bullets.

Is there a way to calibrate the scope readings to the load /bullet.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If it was me I would get rid of the see through mounts. I also took black electrical tape and placed on the turret with the window to keep from moving. These are lower end scopes and in my opinion the BDC on them is lacking. I never had a problem with the scope holding zero, but I would not trust it for running the erector up and down. Aslo, you would have to tailor your load to the yardage on the BDC.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob

I bought the gun on a whim. If the weather ever clears up, I loaded up some Hornady 154-grain SP bullets I need to see what kind of group it shoots, If decent I may get rid of The Bushnell and put a Nikon on it. And scrap the see through mounts.

I kind of thought the scope was not much, but felt it best to see if anyone had one and any opinions on them. The rifle if shoots decent groups will be no more than a 200 yard paper punch. And anouther wood chuck rifle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have one of the Bushnell Range Master scopes. My Remington Model Six in .308win hasn't damaged it yet. I figured out it does work best with speed at muzzle @2600fps-2700fps. You start to lose adjustment accuracy around the 300yd mark. Overall, good scope for 100yd shots on deer mounted on calibers with mild-med recoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts