The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had two metal framed foot stools with cloth tops that wore out. these are part of our pool deck furniture.

i removed the cloth tops and replaced them with wood. i drilled thru the wood slats and the metal frame. i then attached the wood to the frame using small bolts and nuts. then i used one of those hand held blow torches and burned the wood until the grain showed up real good, this is called "Burn staining" My son showed me how to do this and i forgot to give him proper credit when i posted my last project when i rebuilt my wifes glider.

then i sealed the wood with a premium waterproofer and applied 2 coats of mini wax polyurethane. there is no actual stain used in this type of project, i suppose you could but i did not. i also ran a 2x4 under the middle of both as some of our guests sit on the foot stools, i suppose thats why the fabric wore out. :smile2: the date and time stamp on the photos are wrong. i refinished these this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Looks nice bohunr. I've used that method on interior railings in a cabin and coated with tung oil for a nice looking finish. I bet those stools will last a lifetime now.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
They look great. Good job.

Many years ago I replace webbing in two folding chairs with wooden slates. They are still holding up.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only problem when using pressure treated wood is that you must wear a respirator when sanding due to the toxicity of the dust. actually you should wear a sanding mask when sanding anything, the only thing that goes into our lungs is AIR.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Looks nice, they won't wear those out.

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
the only problem when using pressure treated wood is that you must wear a respirator when sanding due to the toxicity of the dust. actually you should wear a sanding mask when sanding anything, the only thing that goes into our lungs is AIR.
Burning PT is also toxic . It does look nice but don't ruin your lungs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts