The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USS Oak Hill (LSD 51)
February 21 at 2:08 PM ·
On February 11, Sailors aboard the USS OAK HILL (LSD-51) were honored to send 8 retired or veteran Sailors and Marines to their final rest, cradled in the deep. These eight souls served their country faithfully and defended our way of life. It was their choice to be buried at sea; it was our honor to carry out their last wishes.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My father served on the USS Oak Hill (LSD 7) during many WWII battles including Palau, Guadalcanal, the Solomons, Leyte Gulf and Okinawa. He is now gone but a photograph of the USS Oak Hill now hangs in my brother's home. I know this ship served actively through the Vietnam War. Dad kept an itinerary or log of all of this ship's engagements during WWII. I also remember him saying his ship carried Vince Lombardi during the war at some time. Not to hijack the solemn theme of this thread and the spirit of these pictures...but I know Dad participated in such on his ship...which was the USS Oak Hill (LSD 7). Just wondered if maybe OP had a son or knew someone serving on a newer version of my dad's ship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts