The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many gun owners have a burglar alarm installed in their home?

i went with brinks, free installation and $25.00 a month, plus my guns except one (the one i carry) are in a gun safe.

a burglar alarm protects your home when you cant.

·
Registered
718 Posts
TEE said:
I have an alarm,safe and the dog helps too
+1 on fido.
Alarms are a waste of money. People never pay attention to them. Seriously, when someone trips a car alarm at the grocery store do you pay attention to it? No, of course you dont because you know it was probably nothing. I worked at a pizzaria a couple years ago. The owner left for vacation and gave me the keys and cash box and told me that I was in charge for a week. He forgot to give me the code for the alarm. I set off the alarm the first day he was gone. We couldn't open up until that alarm stopped going off. The alarm company finally called an hour later. They asked me if there was anything wrong. I said no. They asked for my name in case anything happened. I could have said I was Joe Blow and they wouldnt have cared. However, they never gave me the code to turn the dang thing off. The state troppers barracks was 15 minutes up the street and no officer ever responded. Finally one of my coworkers figured out how to shut the dang thing off. My expierence should show you how effective alarm systems are. Any expierenced crook knows that they dont do anything except make noise. Get a nice german sheperd and spend the money to get him trianed as an attack dog.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Get a dog. We have a German Shepherd......and trust.....no one will gets in or near the house! Even a little yapper dog works.

Residential alarms okay, but there is a delay response. Something gets tripped.......a signal goes to the alarm company. The alarm company notifies 911. 911 then notifies the police. Ideally, the police will not be on another call or otherwise tied up and will respond.

How big is your town? How busy is your police department? No local police and covered by PSP? They are porbably coming from the other side of the county!! Just because a barracks is up the road, doesn't mean there is someone there to respond.

House alarms are now like car alarms.......no one pays then much attention.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Steve in PA said:
How big is your town? How busy is your police department? No local police and covered by PSP? They are porbably coming from the other side of the county!! Just because a barracks is up the road, doesn't mean there is someone there to respond.

It was portabellos Pizza in lords valley right off of route 84. Maybe the cops were busy dealing with all the hoodlums in Hemlock Farms?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
My Belgian Malinois "Kilo" and the alarm pretty much keeps everything quiet. I do have a G23 as back up though

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have several Rugers, one of them is a shepherd/husky mix and 2 are Blackhawks. I know when anyone is close to the house. Also my neighbors have dogs too!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 2 Setters, I know they can sound ferocious, but as for actual protection I cant say. But, if the sounds of the Setters doesn't deter you I also have a 90 lb Chow-Chow that is all hair and teeth. She has proven herself too, found a swatch of bloody jeans in the back yard with the lock on my shed busted loose. Best "theft deterent device" I've ever owned!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
If you don't/can't have a dog, rig up motion detectors so when they are tripped it isn't lights that come on but a tape/cd (what ever) of the nastiest dog you can get your hands on at the time. Disconnect the light and have a receptacle powered up when the detector trips. Thieves don't like dogs and will look for an easier target. It is a poor mans burglar alarm if he doesn't/can't have a dog and you can turn off the detectors when you are home.

·
Registered
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jdbllung said:
I have 2 Setters, I know they can sound ferocious, but as for actual protection I cant say. But, if the sounds of the Setters doesn't deter you I also have a 90 lb Chow-Chow that is all hair and teeth. She has proven herself too, found a swatch of bloody jeans in the back yard with the lock on my shed busted loose. Best "theft deterent device" I've ever owned!
SO...Happiness really is a good blood trail

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a Doberman and he goes on alert when anyone gets within 200 feet of the place. Walk onto the porch and he is on the door standing on his rear legs.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Dogs are about the best alarm. Even though my dog is all but harmless she barks like mad whenever someone comes to the house. Even people she knows gets barked at until I instruct her to stop. Course then she wants her belly rubbed by the "intruder".

There had been a few times when I thought I heard something that wasn't quite right. The dog wasn't barking so I knew everything was fine.

Alarms do get noticed. Several years back I had to work on a Saturday to get caught up at work. There were a few of us that showed up, and we forgot to turn off the alarm. Within about 10 minutes we were all looking down the barrels of guns from the local PD.

·
Registered
19,636 Posts
I have alarm systems but to me they have a duel purpose. I have them because I have 3 places to worry about and I cannot be at all 3 at the same time.
Some nights my wife might be at one place, I might be at the shore or the mountains, and she will not touch a gun so it is for her protection.
I have a 90 lb. Lab that will hunt with anyone and would even play fetch with Michael Vick, but when the sun goes down the dogs temperament changes and if nobody’s home if its not my wife, my daughter that still lives at home or me your not getting in....period. This includes my kids that do not live with us anymore. If one of us are home, he will help you carry in your luggage and park your car.

Another reason for the alarm is mine also will send a warning to the monitoring station if there is water issues or if the temperature in the house drops below 40 degrees. This lets me know I had better get there or have someone check before I have a lot of water damage or my pipes freeze up.
Another advantage is the panel shows me where the intrusion point is since I have a panel in the bedroom, so I would know what area of the house to look in.
I was thankful for the water and temperature features several times but Thank God, I never needed the alarm for a break in.

JMO, for 22.00 @ month it is just the cost of maintaining your home. It’s a lot cheaper then burning lights and timers when I’m not home.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It's the dog that DOESN"T bark also-- We had a G-SHEP that would stare someone down as they pulled into the driveway, run to the drivers side door and sit.Harmless? God forbid the person motioned to get out when no one was there to command him--he would go into a SAVAGE barking spree.
If we were in the house he would run to the window, then to the door and sit. Doorbell- a little "WHOOF", stormdoor opening-look out.
Yes- past tense words

·
Super Moderator
26,927 Posts
One of the houses down the road from us has a sign on the gate, with a picture of a growling Shepherd, that reads:
"Ich brauche fünf Sekunden, um die Tür zu bekommen, und Sie?"
(I need five seconds to get to the door, and you?)

But normally when we walk by he needs no time, as he is usually laying at the door!

·
Premium Member
24,010 Posts
My Burglar Alarm!!

No monthly fees & no malfunctions to date, no false alarms needlessly running police out etc. causin folks to get all upset!! A Burglar's choice whether or not to pay a friendly visit!!! LOL!!

All kiddin aside..for someone to risk their life in burglaring someones home amazes me not knowin what greeting awaits them inside. I think many times they are looking for cash etc, to support an addiction.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hey Loggy, careful with that, the safety is off.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts