The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the news where the gunman in the Las Vegas shooting had some of these Bump Stocks attached to his semi autos to make them fully auto. I never even herd of such a thing, has any of you on HPA dealt with or even shot one with a Bump Stock? Just curious, thanks in advance on any input......

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Never shot one but I understand the concept and I had heard of them prior to this incident because they are banned at my gun club. Basically what I gather that it's sort of like a spring loaded butt stock that essentially allows the rifle itself to recoil back and forth. As long as you keep steady pressure on it your finger will "automatically" pull the trigger again after every time the gun recoils.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I never knew they existed and now that I do i consider them to be junk and should be outlawed. Not only because of this despicable act in Los Vegas but because they are nothing more than a dodge to turn lawful weapons into crap and have nothing to do with the Second.

There, I said it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You can make your own bumpfire stock if/when they are banned.

I sold the two I had yesterday...they work as advertised...there are some FUDDs on this forum that think we should be using muzzle loaders only.

Bumpfire stocks are very controllable and I'd say at a fraction of what a full auto machine gun cost...they work very well.

I actually like binary triggers better than the bumpfire stocks because with the binary trigger, you can have your cheek on the stock. You are not able to put your check on a bumpfire stock while in bumpfire mode.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've shot them before. Took a few tries to get the hang of it, but once I figured it out, it worked as advertised. I personally don't see any practical use for them above a firing range novelty and ammo burner. As stated above, you can't cheek the stock so it's hard, if not impossible, to run them accurately.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I saw on the news where the gunman in the Las Vegas shooting had some of these Bump Stocks attached to his semi autos to make them fully auto. I never even herd of such a thing, has any of you on HPA dealt with or even shot one with a Bump Stock? Just curious, thanks in advance on any input......
A bumpstock does not make a semi auto into full auto. Full auto is when the trigger can be held down and the firearm will continue to fire until the trigger is released. A semi auto the trigger must be pulled then released, before another round can be fired. The bumpstock uses the recoil of the firearm to mechanically release (reset) the trigger creating the illusion of the firearm being full auto.

Good luck, Tony

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
You can make your own bumpfire stock if/when they are banned.

I sold the two I had yesterday...they work as advertised...there are some FUDDs on this forum that think we should be using muzzle loaders only.

Bumpfire stocks are very controllable and I'd say at a fraction of what a full auto machine gun cost...they work very well.

I actually like binary triggers better than the bumpfire stocks because with the binary trigger, you can have your cheek on the stock. You are not able to put your check on a bumpfire stock while in bumpfire mode.
I consider my flintlocks true and accurate examples of 18th Century assault weapons.:wink2:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I agree with clc, if we sell bump stocks down the river, the next thing on the agenda will be the high capacity magazines, then after that the semi-autos themselves. But, it looks already like the NRA is doing just that, with their willingness to have dialogue regarding more restrictions for bump fire stocks. Its either that or maybe its a strategic move by the NRA in the attempt to lead the liberals down a dead end street by throwing them a bone. I just don't believe however that even if bump stocks get banned, that the liberals will stop there. Its been proven they don't rest on this issue.

Now, my opinion on bump fire stocks is, they're a gimmick that a small select group is interested in. And I do believe in the end they will do harm to your weapon, as a semi-auto IMO isn't designed to fire at or close to the cyclic rate of a full auto. Yeah I know, you have to change magazines so will the barrel get hot enough to be damaged, who knows, but I'm not willing to try that out on my guns. I'll let some other person prove me right with theirs.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Sell out on this issue and expect a ban on hi cap mags next.
I am pro gun all the way, but do we really need 100 round drum magazines ? do people that do not work in law enforcement need to buy ballistic vests ?

some things serve no purpose, neat to have and play with, but really are not needed on the market.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Pesonally I have no intrest in bump/slide fire stocks...but it was the ATF that droped the ball on this one...regulating or banning them won't stop the next tragedy from happening...one could even argue that if it wasn't for the high rate of fire the smoke alarm might not have gone off and possibly more people would have been hurt.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I agree with clc, if we sell bump stocks down the river, the next thing on the agenda will be the high capacity magazines, then after that the semi-autos themselves. But, it looks already like the NRA is doing just that, with their willingness to have dialogue regarding more restrictions for bump fire stocks. Its either that or maybe its a strategic move by the NRA in the attempt to lead the liberals down a dead end street by throwing them a bone. I just don't believe however that even if bump stocks get banned, that the liberals will stop there. Its been proven they don't rest on this issue.

Now, my opinion on bump fire stocks is, they're a gimmick that a small select group is interested in. And I do believe in the end they will do harm to your weapon, as a semi-auto IMO isn't designed to fire at or close to the cyclic rate of a full auto. Yeah I know, you have to change magazines so will the barrel get hot enough to be damaged, who knows, but I'm not willing to try that out on my guns. I'll let some other person prove me right with theirs.

The bump stock wasn't developed with all of us in mind. It was developed for people with a certain type of disability. The NRA position of a review being the correct action, is one that doesn't sell out people with that type of disability. They are staying true to being the civil rights organization they are. Should a review result with a tight restriction as to who can purchase and use one......... nothing has been taken from those of us who do not suffer such a disability as we can still fire the fire arm. JMHO

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Obviously the Vegas shooter had a disability.....a mental one. Worked great for him.
Just wondering what someone with a disability would have the need for a weapon that would be able to fire 400-800 rounds per minute?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts