The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure its been asked before, but I can not find any regulations on what types of bullets are unlawful for Hunting and fur taking. Chapter 23 says "Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact." is prohibited for big game. I can not find the same for non big game. I would like to find out what cast bullets are classified as and if they are legal to use for fox and coyote. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Cast is all lead, that's OK...the only real exception is Full Metal Jacket, like Mill Surp stuff.

Copper jacket w/ exposed lead or a ballistic tip or a hollow point are all designed to expand and are OK.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Actually, I believe you can use fmj for small game also. Big game they are illegal though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like to use FMJ on anything. Don't like the idea of bullets skipping around the country side. Cast bullets are a lead/alum alloy. Most cast do not expand. I do not believe they are legal for big game because of the lack of expansion. I wish the laws were clearer as I would like to use my .357 as a calling rifle. I don't want to break the law unintentionally over a cast bullet. The only section I see expandable bullets required is in the big game section. Would I be wrong to assume since non expandable bullets are not listed as prohibited for other game that they are in fact legal?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The only animals that require all lead or expanding bullets are deer, elk, and bear. Turkeys are big game, but do not require expanding bullets. Anything but deer, bear, or elk you are fine with a non-expanding bullet.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Cast bullets are a lead/alum alloy. Most cast do not expand. I do not believe they are legal for big game because of the lack of expansion.
Bear and Deer Regs: "...all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact".

Fall Turkeys: "Single projectile ammunition (or shot no larger than #4 lead)". Some fall turkey areas have different regs on arms/ammo.

I sometimes use FMJ 223 ammo for woodchucks, but only where there is sufficient backstop to preclude richochets from being an issue.

I've been shooting cast handgun bullets for years. They are primarily cast from wheel weights. Lead, antimony and tin.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
It is legal to shoot turkey (fall) with FMJ bullets. I use those in my .223 handloaded rounds. I load 'em down so they are not screaming at 3500fps.

You certainly can use an all lead bullet for big game. (As Denny F. has said) I use a 405gr. lead flat nose in doe season from my 45-70. I'm pretty cautious about taking a broadside lung shot as I want to keep meat damage to a minimum. The 405gr. does very little expansion, but most deer drop in their tracks.

And, if I do happen to hit meat, it's a quarter size hole and not a fist size hole.

SW

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Just a little info about lead bullets: the metplat on the front of the bullet....the flat at the nose....is what makes or breaks a cast bullet. the larger the metplat, the larger the wound channel. Most cast lead in bigger calibers(centerfire) are HARD cast lead and don't generally mushroom at all or very little. It is generally supported that hard cast lead is ideal for deep penetration on heavier game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts