The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had one 30-06 and one 7MM Mag do this. And what happens is the bullets on just the two cases have slid down into the case and i don't know why help please.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Factory or reloads, if factory your not doing something right loading the clip or something strange same deal on 2 guns. Reloads, your not lubing them well and resizing them all the way. Just my guess.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
sounds like you cases arent being neck sized enough. check the dies to make sure they are set right in the press. also make sure you are seating the bullets deep enough. if the bullets are too far out of the case they will be pushed back into the case when you load one into the chamber. look for marks on the bullet on the one that slid back into the case. these will be caused by the bullet hitting the riflings when chambering.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Are you handloading or are these with factory loads? Are you sure they are not hitting on the front edge of the clip/action when your chamberring them from the clip. If they are handloads and your using a bushing die you may not be using one that has enough tension, buy one that is slightly smaller and increase the tension. Some companies brass lately is showing neck walls that are .001-2 thinner than they used to be and by changing manufacturers certain dies are not squeezing the bullets tight enough..change brass or bushing thickness... you need to give us more information in order to help you out..

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Guy at camp opened a brand new box of factory ammo and the 1st shell he pulled out had the bullet shoved almost all the way into the case! It was the only one that was messed up.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
6-DASHER said:
If they are handloads and your using a bushing die you may not be using one that has enough tension, buy one that is slightly smaller and increase the tension.
Or, if you are using an expander type die remove it with its stem and polish it lightly with the threaded stem inserted in a cordless drill. Use a 400 grit buffing material, and apply it sparingly. This will reduce the neck size (about .0005") and should increase tension just enough to correct your prolem.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
stool shooter nailed it.

I don't crimp most loads, but I shoot mostly single shots so it doesn't matter as much. Some old guns have sloppy chamber mouths and the cartridges need to be neck sized every time. Or possibly, there was a problem with the drawn brass not being thick enough at the case mouth.

·
Registered
919 Posts
We can guess all day ....all you need is a simple vernier caliper,take some measurements and all yer questions will be answered

1 - 12 of 12 Posts