The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I just got my meat back from the butcher who cut up my buck that I shot with the flinter. He also had the bullet that was wedged in the hindquarter. I was using Hornady SST-ML Sabot's, 250 grains. I started using these after discovering the old ones I had been using for years didn't shoot out of my Inline at all! I used to use T/C Express Mag Sabots, in 240 grains. About the only difference is the T/C's are a hollow point and the Hornadys have a plastic tip. Anyways the picture will show what happened! The buck was about 10 feet away looking at me when I shot, he started to turn and it struck him off center in front of the shoulder, going through one lung, the liver and all the way back to the hindquarter. I know he lived for about 30 or 35 minutes after I shot because he turned and ran back into the drive and my buddy who was driving watched him lay down and then watched him laying there until he died! I shot three other deer with them this year, the first was a doe in almost the same situation, I watched her turn and run and lay down about 50 yards away dead. There was little to no blood. The next was about 35 yards away, broadside and I shot through the heart, she went about 50 yards also, but had a good blood trail because of the two holes, the third doe was 90 yards and I shot a high shoulder shot and killed her in her bed, no bullets were recovered in those three deer. Anyways just a little rant, I know deer can be hard to find after a muzzleloader hit because of little blood trails, I think this could be the reason! By the way I never had a problem with the T/C's in my flinter, and I haven't shot a deer with the Hornadys from my inline, don't even know if i'll try it now!

Here are both the T/C's and the Hornadys, with the one in the center recovered from my buck.

Just posting these results to maybe help someone else out!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I use the T/C mag and they mushroom great.
Will post photo.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I'm gettng the same results Tundragriz is with PBs.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Here is the before and after on the T/C 240 xtp mag

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I don't know how you guys do it!I have shot deer with 45-58cal and powder charges from 50grs-120grs and I never found a single round ball.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
410-er said:
I don't know how you guys do it!I have shot deer with 45-58cal and powder charges from 50grs-120grs and I never found a single round ball.
I found mine because it was a neck shot.

·
Registered
21,010 Posts
My limited experience with the shockwaves was the same,very little if any expansion.I've also killed a couple deer with 240 gr xtp's.I didn't recover either bullet but the exit wounds were big and the chest cavities were mush.

·
Registered
9,545 Posts
I got one this year with my flinty and recovered my ball.It looks alot like those 3 pictures.It was a neck shot and I was impressed on how it mushroomed out.The deer dropped in it,s tracks at about 35 yards or so.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those look very similar to the ones I had a problem with, I see you shot them out of an inline, just wondering do you use them in a flintlock?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
the bullets you shot are the hornady sst sabots. the bullet above is actually a barnes solid copper bullet made for Thor bullets. These will open up fine with a flintlock. What kind of powder charge do you use?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts