The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member of our crew shot a big ol’ male this past bear season. 565 lbs. he got back the mount and the skull today. Taxidermists pointed out the old boy had been shot before. In the side of the jaw was a bullet still lodged in the bone. Seems to be a very old wound. Will be very interested to see how old this bear was when the ages come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
the photo makes it look like the skull is kind of flaky and brittle. are any parts flaking off ? if so take it back to the Taxidermist. I hope i am wrong here.

neat story, Huge bear.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
That had to hurt. I killed a 500 + pounder a few years back that had two 22 bullets, double 00 buck, and #8 shot in it that the taxidermist discovered. None of them penetrated the 4" of fat on the bear. It was 9.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The bone roughness and deformity is from infection.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That had to hurt. I killed a 500 + pounder a few years back that had two 22 bullets, double 00 buck, and #8 shot in it that the taxidermist discovered. None of them penetrated the 4" of fat on the bear. It was 9.
Not a bear, but an old buck I shot a few years ago had a broadhead and 4" of shaft between his spine and his shoulder blade, and the taxidermist said there was gravel under his hide on one side of his face from being rolled by a car...tough critters for sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts